What do you love (or hate) about your d90?

I really want a d300, but I am going to settle with a d90, and I really want people to tell me what they love to make me fee like im making the right decision :)
Thanks!!

I went from a D200 to the D90. I don't hate anything. About the only negative to me is that with the D200 I could set WB, EV, ISO and other settings to toggle so I did not have to hold the button down while turning the control wheel. This feature is not available on the D90. I lost weather proofing, but if it's wet, mt camera is out of the weather.

I sold one of my accessories to a D300 shooter, and he said the quicker AF speed of the D300 was the only reason he didn't have aD90.

I think you will like it.

H

hogfaninga

I had the D90 for less than 2 weeks. It was nice. I didn't care for plastic feel to it, but I could live with it. My mistake was when I let my friend borrow my D90 and I borrowed his D300. After having the D300 for a full day I was sold. I shoot a lot of sports and the D300 is great for it. Add the feel of the sturdiness of the magnesium alloy of the D300 compared to the plastic of the D90 plus the other advantages and I knew I would always regret not getting the D300 if I didn't try to sell the D90 to get the D300. Luckily I sold the D90 for the price I paid and got a brand new D300 from J&R for only $250 more than the D90.

That being said, the D90 is really nice and a much better camera than most of us are photographers.

Good luck.

I battled with this for the longest time and I finally decided that the jump from the D90 to D300 FOR ME was not worth it. I do not do an abundance of sports shooting or shooting where I need weather sealing. I also don't mind the lighter weight body.

I've had my D90 for less than a week and I keep finding more and more that I love about it. No negatives what so ever.

I played around with the thought of getting a D90, but I couldn't get use to the plasticy body after using a D2x for quite some time. I also really liked having the WB, Qual, and ISO buttons right at my fingertips whenever I needed to make a quick adjustment. It is an otherwise very good camera, but for me, the extra couple bucks was worth it to upgrade. I also would have had to purchase SD memory cards, which made the price difference less attractive.

Don't have a D90, but had a D80 and absolutely can't stand that they continue to hobble you by forcing tedious 1/3rd stop ISO adjustments rather than allowing ISO adjustments in full stops like on the D40/40x/50/60 or selectable (1/3rd or full) like on the 200/300/700/3/3x. This drove me up the wall on the D80 and I'm disappointed to see that it's still setup like this on the D90. At least they've expanded the Auto ISO minimum shutter speed range to beyond 1/125s now, which is good.

Don't have a D90, but had a D80 and absolutely can't stand that they continue to hobble you by forcing tedious 1/3rd stop ISO adjustments rather than allowing ISO adjustments in full stops like on the D40/40x/50/60 or selectable (1/3rd or full) like on the 200/300/700/3/3x. This drove me up the wall on the D80 and I'm disappointed to see that it's still setup like this on the D90. At least they've expanded the Auto ISO minimum shutter speed range to beyond 1/125s now, which is good.

You can change them from 1/3 stops to 1/2 stops though.

But then you're locked into half stop shutter, aperture, and most importantly exposure compensation adjustments as well. I want all of that stuff in 1/3rd stops because digital can be that touchy.

I have no regrets selling my D90 for the D300! I like the 300's controls better plus the ability to tweak things.
I may get another D40 for light duty work as it was a excellent camera when I had one. Buy a used one from KEH.com, good price at around what you would pay for D90 kit, mine was LN- and it looked unused with only 3K actuations. My D90 I traded had almost 5K and I only had it 3 month's

Don't have a D90, but had a D80 and absolutely can't stand that they continue to hobble you by forcing tedious 1/3rd stop ISO adjustments rather than allowing ISO adjustments in full stops like on the D40/40x/50/60 or selectable (1/3rd or full) like on the 200/300/700/3/3x. This drove me up the wall on the D80 and I'm disappointed to see that it's still setup like this on the D90.

I just moved from D50 and I like the fact that the D90 allows less than full stop ISO adjustment. I did not like being limited to 200 400 800 1600, due to the compromises at higher ISO.

I like this.
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en...0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Nikon

I never used the short HD clip mode, but have a friend who does freelance for the local paper. While covering an assignment he made a short 30 second HD clip of a fire and sold it to a local TV station. You never know when it could come in handy. Limited but easily edited. (and you can manual focus).

A d90 is still $600 less. You can find deals on both, but suggested list is close to the $600. That's a fair piece of glass.

I like the pictures mine takes. I came from canon and I like the features and menu. I like not being limited by strict ISO settings.

H

hogfaninga

Tests like that are fine, but numerous other independent tests showed different results. They are very subjective and they don't test everything. All I know is I see threads all the time with people selling their D90 to upgrade to a D300 and happy they did. That personally tells me a lot. I don't think most reasonable people will argue that the D300 is a better body overall, but it does cost more so it should. At the end of the day it isnt the camera it is the person behind the camera that makes the most difference. I had both and the additional cost, even if it was $600, would be worth it to me. Each person has to decide on their own.

Go to a camera shop and take a few pictures with both of them, see which one feels better. For what its worth i first bought a D90, and then got my hands on a D300, which i wanted in the first place, so i bought it and sold my D90 (with only 1056 clicks on it).

-Greg

ps.. i hated the plastic feel of it, and the fact that i had to go into the menu for controls that have their own dedicated buttons and dials on the D300.

I have a feeling that if you spring for a D90, you will still want a D300 and will strive to get one, losing money in the end. If you want one... just get it. You won't be disappointed.

On the other hand, I myself am considering a D300 later this year, but with the rumors surrounding the D400 I am in no hurry. If it is all it is cracked up to be I'll get that instead. If not, I can get a great deal on a D300! :biggrin:

I have a feeling that if you spring for a D90, you will still want a D300 and will strive to get one, losing money in the end. If you want one... just get it. You won't be disappointed.

On the other hand, I myself am considering a D300 later this year, but with the rumors surrounding the D400 I am in no hurry. If it is all it is cracked up to be I'll get that instead. If not, I can get a great deal on a D300! :biggrin:

That's exactly what i did.

blah...thats the problem. I dont want to wait!
If it drops will it drop THAT much? Because if a 400 comes out I know I wont be springing for that...Ill still get the d300...but If I can save a TON, maybe ill wait...if not, maybe ill just get it now...
thanks for all the response so far!

blah...thats the problem. I dont want to wait!
If it drops will it drop THAT much? Because if a 400 comes out I know I wont be springing for that...Ill still get the d300...but If I can save a TON, maybe ill wait...if not, maybe ill just get it now...
thanks for all the response so far!
Well, I can't really say right now. It just depends on whether it's an "evolutionary" or "revolutionary" new model. For example, D300 to D200 was more evolutionary, so prices dropped slowly for the 200. 300 had some amazing new features but overall it "looked" the same and was overshadowed by the D3. That was truly revolutionary--D2H/X prices dropped like rocks.

Something tells me that if the D400 comes out this year, D300 will level out to about $100 more than the D90. Look at the Canon 40D--it is now not much more expensive than the XSi, but remains a much better camera overall. Hopefully that will happen for us.

I am one of those who enjoy the D90. The camera is basically my carry-around camera, used more for travel and leisure than business. The pictures are fantastic in my opinion and as for the "plastic feel" it does not bother me; with the grip attached it feels right at home. I too have a degree in Graphic design and after reading your intro on your site I understand what you are looking for. Remember the camera is a tool; when I started out I had a Minolta XG-7 with manual focus, manual advance, and all those extra things everyone raves about! LOL The neat thing was selling my first image. Since then I have my own business (in a round-about life of careers) and now use a D3 as well as D2X and D1x's and to be honest most clients cannot tell the difference in photos taken from the 3 or the 1x! And since the D90 is a much better performing camera than the D1X (yes I know it is still built more solid than the 90) you will continue to take great photos with it.
So I say go for the 90 and start making money with it, put a small "wishlist account" aside when money comes in, and when the 400 comes out you'll have scratch set aside to make another purchase. In the meantime you'll be taking pictures and pushing forward in your career/life rather than waiting.
tom

Ha, just got my D90 last night.

Seems like I've been playing camera roulette. Bought D40 in Dec 08. Wanted auto focus motor and other things so sold it and "upgraded" to D80 3 weeks ago.

D80 ended up being worse than D40. Very noisy at ISO 800 and above. D40 just seemed to produce better pictures. Luckily I was within my 30 day return window. Returned it and ordered D90 and got it yesterday.

I can't compare D90 vs D300 but I can say that D90 is night and day vs D80.

Took some shots at ISO 1600 and 3200 last night and couldn't really see much noise/grain. It was wonderful. Focus was fast and crisp.

I love that they added more customizable features. Such as displaying ISO in viewfinder and top LCD. Its only been one night but I'm sold on D90. But I don't have any point of reference from D300.

Latest threads

Top Bottom