1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What do you think of the D3000?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Joseph, Aug 4, 2009.

1. I've already decided to save for the D60 as my backup body, and then the D3000 was released.. so I'm having second thoughts. Should I get the D60 for a much lower price? or is the D3000 worth the extra money?

So I was looking at its specs and I came to realize that this is the ultimate noob DSLR. It's like a camera with training wheels!
    D3000_G_Info_E_4.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Not that I will use the "guide" but I think this is a great move by Nikon to lure in more newbies. The D40 lured me in and look how much I've invested now..lol

Its physical dimensions are pretty much identical to the D40/D60. It weighs a little more (and I mean a miniscule amount) but it has more focus points, a bigger LCD, and a couple more features. I think I'm saving for this one!

So what do you think of the new D3000?

2. A.O.M.E.

A.O.M.E.

Feb 1, 2009
    Chicago
    The LCD is bigger but has the same number of dots so it's not as good actually. My friend has a Canon 40D which has a 230K dot 3" screen (same exact specs as D3000) and it's much worse for reviewing photos than mine.

Aside from that the extra focus points may or may not be worth it. I think all that you have to wait for are the reviews--see if the D3000 offers any IQ improvement over the D60.

3. The focus system improvement will probably be big. I know I've used my son's D40 and found it limiting, forces me to focus and recompose more which is an issue when I set it to AF-C or even AF-A.

But the bigger question for you is "backup for what"? To have an extra body of for event type work? If so then neither is the answer. If it is to have something smaller and lighter as a P&S then go cheaper. cametaauctions on eBay is an authorized Nikon retailer that many here have purchased from. D40's are selling around $260, D60's for around $310.

4. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    See what the reviews of the D3000 say first but I think it might be the way to go. I have yet to be wowed by any of these camera's enough to replace my D50 with one, the D5000 comes pretty close and I don't care to spend the money on a D90 to replace my light go anywhere camera.

5. To me, the biggest shortcoming of the D40/D60 series is the 3 focus points. The D3000 fixes that. I might consider it as a replacement for my D60, but I'm waiting to see some reviews.

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    All of these guide things are nuts! It honestly would take far less time to simply learn the basics of photography than it would to go through all of these guide thingies and still not have the big picture in your head. I could put a great mini guide together on a single two-sided sheet of paper.

I'd probably be ordering a D3000 if it had the 12MP CMOS, but they stuck the 10MP CCD in there so no thanks. I'll stick with my D40. In fact I just had it out today shooting my baby boy and it did great at iso800/1600 with my 35/1.8 lens.

7. dL302

dL302

Aug 7, 2008
    Vancouver
    I think the D3000 is worth the extra. D60 is currently selling at around $549 CAD while the new D3000 is projected to be selling at $659.

The extra $100 ish for the new set of features imo is worth it.

dL

8. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Like most, I was disappointed that the D3000 didn't have the D5000 sensor.
    I was all set to buy a D3000 to replace my D40 as my compact body.
    After weighing my options, including standing pat with my D40, I ended up ordering a LN- D90 from Keh yesterday for $729.
    The D90 is the same physical size as my former D50, has the nicer 12mp sensor, has more AF points than the D40, and has an AF motor so I can use more fully some of my non-AFS lenses (e.g., Tamron 28-75 2.8, 180).
    Selling my AFS 16-85vr and D40 will cover the cost of the D90, and I think the switch enhances my shooting capability.
    The D40 has given me many of my most favorite images, but I think my new compact body provides even more promise. :smile:

9. I think you're moving in the right direction with the D90, Glenn. I'm very pleased with mine. I also sold a D40 (and moved my wife up to the D60 I was using), and a D200.

But I would say hang on to the 16-85. It's a killer combination with the D90.

10. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Hi Jim,

I generally like to fund my new gear purchases by selling some existing gear, trying to minimize fresh infusions of hobby capital.
    I am very fond of my 16-85vr and can see that it would be a great match with the D90.
    I've listed my 16-85vr for sale, but have no takers yet.
    If the 16-85vr doesn't sell at my desired price, that's okay.
    I guess I'd just have to endure the continued hardship of being a 16-85vr owner. :wink: :biggrin:
    I pocketed some funds when I sold my D300 going from 3 bodies to 2 bodies, so life is still good. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.