What do you think of this red door?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RNeal, Oct 16, 2005.

1. RNeal

RNeal

Oct 15, 2005
    Tennessee
    This red door caught my eye. I played around with it in PS to get an "artistic effect" and came up with this:

[​IMG]

Applied a “Fresco” filter, followed by a “Diffused Glow” filter, faded to about 50%/hard light (I think), and boosted the red and yellow saturation some. Seems to make it more aged and "mysterious" or something.

An improvement or not?

Here's the original:

[​IMG]

(D2X, 70-200VR @ 70mm, F/4, 1/500s, ISO200)

2. Randy, I like the effects, and yes, it does add mystery and depth, but I don't find the subject matter that interesting. There's nothing that really grabs the viewer's s attention. Perhaps a different view or a slightly different crop would make it more unusual. Interested in experimenting a little more?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Randy,
    I have to agree with Virginia. For me the "stuff" in the upper portion of the photograph, especially in the upper right hand corner, is a distraction. If you get a chance, try this one from a slightly different angle.

4. RNeal

RNeal

Oct 15, 2005
    Tennessee
    Thanks y'all. That's pretty much what the Mrs. said, too. I need to learn to listen to her more. Anyway, I sort of like it, but if you have to ask that's usually a good sign it's not all that interesting. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks great. Job well done

6. It is interesting. The way you edited the photo is nice to know. And as said maybe a different perspective had helped. Before i read all the others comments i scrolled up and down to see the differnces between the two photo's. And i got distracted by the outer sides of the photo's. So just try to crop it and i bet you love the photo even more.

And try the same steps on some other photo you have and look what it does to other situations. Just keep on trying to improve yourself that is the only way to get it right.

And you are right about the door it is a eyecatcher but the rest of the photo ask for attention too and my eye don't wanna see that leaves and piece of roof and blue sky.

But like i said your close to a good effect. Because if it was not good then maybe i would not have taken the time to look at it for more then few minutes. I kept scrolling up and down over and over again.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus