What do you think?

This is of a girl I'm currently dating. I would like your opinions/feedback on it. I've been torn between if I should or shouldn't include the cup in the picture. So I'm seeing with my fellow Nikonians think. Also, do you prefer the color or B&W picture?

jennacolor.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 13444

SRA

I would take the cup out. It would give the story more interest and allow you to wander into the cafe window seamlessly.

Thanks! So what about these now?

jennacolorcopy1.gif

View attachment 13446

Nick,
Much better! Like the B&W one, but the color one seems to have more depth to it. But either way, it's better w/o the cup.

Unless the table's in the shot too, ditch the cup

It's a distraction as it is now. It's just there floating in space right now. And I think the B&W does work here. I'd maybe make it more contrasty though.

Hey Nick,

Is capturing the guys that are sitting in the window something that you are interested in having within your composition? I've seen many others on this forum crop much tighter with their images...can you offer some comment of why you composed as you did? I am interested in doing some similar images of my daughter but have no formal education with that type of shooting, so I am asking to learn some technique options for composition and cropping.

Hi Nick:
I agree with others have said in the thread already.
But I thought I would take this a (little) further and upload your image and (play) with it a little.
Because of the pose she was in I felt reflection and deep thought so I manipulated it a little as I saw it....
Hope you don't mind me working with your photo... If you do I will take it down right away.
Cheers

large.gif

Sorry if the quality is a little low.... but the uploaded image was not very big to work with

Definitely bag the cup, it fights for attention with your lovely girlfriend. your rendition w/out the cup is much better.

Doug Barber has taken this image to the next level and made it into a thought evoking masterpiece.

D

dbirdsong

keep the girl (very cute girl friend) and dump the cup... B&W works better too.. maybe soften it up a little for a more romanic look.

eng45ine said:
Hey Nick,

Is capturing the guys that are sitting in the window something that you are interested in having within your composition? I've seen many others on this forum crop much tighter with their images...can you offer some comment of why you composed as you did? I am interested in doing some similar images of my daughter but have no formal education with that type of shooting, so I am asking to learn some technique options for composition and cropping.

Frank, it was hard enough as it was just getting that shot. She doesn't like being photographed, so it was pretty tough just trying to get a shot of her. However, I just found the guys in the coffee shop behind her as an interesting backdrop to her. I intentioned framed the orginial image up so that she was to the far right, and yet I was still able to get the guys in the window in, too. I had to crop A LOT out of the image. If you saw my orginial image you would see how much I had to crop it to get it how it was. That's another reason why the file size is so small (I also resized it too). I would definitely experiment with your daughter and whatnot, as long as she likes being photographed, haha. I think the more you do it, the better and more composed picture you will get in long run. I hope that makes sense.

Doug, I really like the rendition of the photo. It looks really nice. Sorry that the resolution wasn't big to begin with. I resized it so that I could post it on here. It still looks good nonetheless.

Everyone else, thank you for your comments and suggestions. As always, they are much appreciated!

Defineatly without the cup is much better. Take your friend to some place in a woods or beach or some place you could say. I want to take a photo of you and this place to remind us of. And tell her you can delete every not good looking photo right away. And let her take a photo off you. Mostly because you let her do that she will also allow you to take a photo of her.

And then it comes to photoshop if you can do some nice photoshopping with her photo then she will maybe feel flattered with the results. Her with a different background maybe. And she will maybe next time say to you take a photo of me here. And then you don't have to ask no more.

I have friends who hate being photographed. But it is because many people allways capture them form the worst side of the face or body. And else buy a 300 mm lens haha and try to take candids from her from a distance when she don't know it.

But she is nice looking woman. You must be a happy person.

Greetings,
VinceBeus

Latest threads

Top Bottom