1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What does everyone think of

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The chemist, Aug 3, 2009.

1. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Dave Hills latest style. Particularly look in the personal sections at portrait/music and landscape. http://www.davehillphoto.com/gallery/landscape

I thought this would be of interest especially with the ongoing tomfoolery of photoshopped images. Does one enjoy both Dave's current work and his old work? One or the other? Is his new work good?

2. mrluilou

mrluilou

Feb 15, 2009
    California
    I've never seen his old work but his new stuff looks pretty good

3. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I still can't stand his plasticy photos but I quite like his film photos. Nothing like real black and white grain :smile:

4. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    Like the B&W

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I love Dave's new work! I also like his previous work quite a lot as well. And that of Jill Greenberg, who also seems to be going toward a more natural approach in her latest series'.

6. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    He has both his old and new work on his portfolio. His black and whites are a new trend for him.

I thought you might chime in:biggrin: Now are these actually film shots? To me they do still appear digital and intentionally shot at a low ISO and then adding noise post process. It is interesting to me that he has not only gone to a more natural setup but even his processing of B&W seems unorthodox for him. Mostly lower contrast with lighter red/orange channels.

Nice new twist ehh:biggrin:

I was hoping you would chime in. His new work seems right up your ally. I will have to check out Jill's work. What are your thoughts on his processing? I am anxious to check out lightsource podcast of Dave Hill. It just came out today and he explains some of his most recent thoughts on his new trend. Work will keep me here for awhile though:wink:

7. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    I stand corrected...he is using a film camera, well several.

8. Love the black and white landscapes and portraits (most are shot medium format, lots of Fuji Acros 100). The stuff on "Advertising"....... looks like graphic artist photoshop stuff, not photography. I don't mind photoshop tweaking, but to me, a photograph should still look like a photograph........not a digitally created image.

9. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    The B&W looks great to me.

10. I love all of Daves work, hes an amazing photographer. But his new work is just fantastic.

11. I love his work. Very creative.

12. Hmmmm, I think is work is incredibly creative, and I would not personally want any of it on my wall. His use of light and composition is incredible, but I did not see one image, and I looked at a whole bunch, that was easy on my eyes. And his website, well, maybe it is just my tired old eyes, but the navigation to me is just a real pain and the thumbnails on the left, icky-poo :wink:

Now, the ironic part is, that for the right audience, and I can see by this thread that I certainly am the minority here :wink:, his work is pretty amazing. And while it is not at all to my taste, I can certainly appreciate the quality. I'll even bet he makes a lot more money from his work than I make from mine :eek: :eek: :biggrin:

I had a similar conversation with Bjorn Rorslett one time, and he could completely understand that his style was not to my taste, but he did appreciate that I could still appreciate the technical aspects of his work.

13. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    We're actually talking about his personnal work, the black and white photos that he recenty put up apparently.

This made me think. I'll try shooting my next roll of Tri-X at 1600 just to see the result :smile:

14. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    I guess I am just amazed on the drastic change in direction. From interviews I have heard he has yet to get a job from his personal section and hasent put them in his port yet. His current composite work was claimed to take weeks of processing and thousands of dollars and it was clear he enjoyed the process. Flash forward and you would expect that in the very least he would be strobing up his black and whites. From his interview however it's almost no off camera light and a simple levels/ curves on the images. The one connection that makes sense and Hill states this is that it reminds him of why he loved shooting.

15. And your point is? I looked at that work, his work in totality, his website presentation, and it is not to my taste. Are you somehow implying that I am not able to make the differentiation? Or that I have somehow "missed" something along the way?

16. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Just saying that The chemist wanted to point out his recent black and white personnal work, not the work we know him for (unless you were also speaking about that stuff, in which case no need to get in a fit). No more no less.

17. Foques

Foques

May 13, 2009
    Streamwood, IL
    That guy is fantastically talented.

18. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    This to me is the interesting part. He is completely changing his audience by his recent black and whites. While he still cators to his composites for his payed clients he hopes to bring some in with a completely different style.

Granted both could not be up your ally...sorry to stir things up:biggrin:

19. I think that you are I are in Vehement Agreement :biggrin:

Regardless of my personal taste, not only do you have to give Dave credit for his technical skills and talent, but also for having enough confidence in himself to move out of a "comfort zone", and put it out for all to see.

By the way, stirring the pot is not a bad thing at all, it really helps me to keep an open mind and to learn a thing or two along the way. And if anyone sees my posting, and my "not liking", as somehow being negative on Dave or his work, Au Contraire' :wink:. We each have likes/dislikes, sure would be a boring place if we all liked the same one thing, eh?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.