What editing software do you use?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Chris101, Aug 24, 2005.

What software do you use?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2005.
  1. Photoshop/ACR all the way!

24 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. Nikon Capture/View cause Nikon does Nikon best!

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Paint Shop, Raw Magick, or other, because they're better!

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. A combination, for the best of two (or more) worlds!

37 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Now that we have our very own retouching forum, we can get down to business! But retouching techniques are very dependant on the software sed. So I'd like to get an idea of how many people use what software.

The biggies are, of course, Nikon Capture and Photoshop. But there are also Paint Shop Pro, Raw Magick Lite, among others (I certainly don't know all of them.) Then there are the hybriders - you use a combination approach, starting with Capture and finishing with Photoshop is very popular. And other combos have their following as well.

Please select the category that best describes your software choice. If you choose 3 or 4 please make a post of what, in particular, you use.

2. Raw processing in Capture then dust bunny removal, croppping and sharpening in CS2 then for printing Qimage.

Martin

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Viewing and trash removal in NikonView, RAW process in Capture then to PS7, Jpeg process in PS7 only. Sometimes I'll print from PSLE as my old Epson 1200 likes the drivers and colorspace better.

4. Photo Mechanic to Capture to PSCS

5. Amen, brother!!!

Because I'm still shooting jpg only, I'm strictly using Photoshop (v7). Now that Capture has been upgraded and the performance issues seem to be resolved, I'll probably switch over to RAW and intend to use Capture for primary processing with PS7 for portrait retouching. I also have PSP and a few other stray programs with far less functionality but prefer and am most comfortable with the power of PS.

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Capture and Photoshop Elements 3

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

1. Initial organizing and culling with ThumbsPlus (and some custom home-made software :smile: )
    2. Nikon Capture used to adjust exposure, WB, curves, sharpening (maybe), noise reduction, color saturation boost (maybe)
    3. PhotoShop for "everything else"... resizing, cropping, blemish editing, vignetteing, ad nauseum
    Looking forward to learning some neat tricks from everyone!

8. After download of images to Nikonview, open raw files in Nikon Capture and do basic processing and save as jpegs. Then open CS2 to do further processing and save for the web or for printing.

9. Nikon View to download images to PC.

Nikon Capture to sometimes tinker with WB, Exposure Compensation, Curves (I love having that histogram on the grid!), Tone, Sharpening, and LCH Chroma (Saturation). I keep a NEF version and create a 16 bit Tiff version.

Adobe Photoshop CS2 for working on the Tiff version doing such things as Shadow/Highlights, Painting With Light action, Velvia action, further localized Sharpening, Cropping, Touchups, NeatImage noise reduction, converting to sRGB Color Profile, Image Resizing for web use, etc.

Qimage for the extremely rare occasion when I print at home. I usually upload to Adorama for printing, but have been lax and haven't done so for 10 months.

Someday I hope to cull and organize my images.

Glenn

10. Nikon capture for initial processing and then PS CS for the balance.

11. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Nikon View for the first look, then
    Nikon Capture, and end with
    Photoshop CS

12. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    PSCS ACR for raw conversion;
    then PSCS for everything else.
    Colorvision Spyder for monitor calibration.
    I used Genuine Fractals for a few years, but am no longer convinced it is better than I can do in PS alone.

13. Chris.

This is cool. Glad we got this new forum.:cool:

I use Nikon Capture 4.3.1 (yes-already upgraded) Seems a little faster I think?
    Paint Shop Pro 9.xx -> Probably gonna upgrade to Paint Shop Pro 10.0
    PhotoShop CS2
    Neat Image
    EyeOne for monitor calibration
    And been meaning to try ACR
    And I have all sorts of other programs (trialware) that I have tried out.

I used to shoot jpg but lately have been shooting lots of RAW. Mainly cause I like the capability to play with white balance afterwards. I know, I know - The good/great photographers get the white balance at the time of the shot. Someday maybe? But, I tend to always be off a little bit.

I look forward to the all the new topics that will be discussed here.

14. NIkon View - Capture - PSP 9.0 or Photoshop CS ( have been using both..generally cause started out with paintshop pro but got CS because so many people were posting on it... Also Raw magic curve surgery is something I've stumble through but have devoted little time to....so many programs so little time!!!

Bohdan

15. Nikon view to look at image (nothing else)
    Into cature to adjust WB, Exp and apply a very small amount of curve.
    Into PS to do anything else

16. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Nikon View for downloading; Nikon Capture for raw processing; PSCS2 with PK Sharpener for manipulation. Sometimes GF Print Pro, sometimes CS2 for enlargement.

17. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Nikon View to Nikon Capture and then CS 2.

18. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    NC or ACR for RAW conversion
    PS CS2 for most editing work
    Noise Ninja if necessary
    QImage for printing

19. Ps2

I use this all the time. Once in a great while I use PSP but I would have to say CS2.

It is nice to see we have our own forum. I hope it grows like dpreviews because I spend so much time there with all of those nice people. The best forum on dpreview where no one complains or argues about who's camera is best.

So come on, more people post here so we can get a good following.