What ever happened to rumored fix to focus stacking ...

When Nikon released the D850, one of the new features listed was the automated focus stacking option. I think it's design was badly fumbled - starting at CURRENT focus point and shooting until the lens’s focus is at infinity was reached. It should have been designed to start at THIS focus point and record images until THAT focus point was exceeded. This could eliminate dozens of irrelevant images cluttering up the card.

How many useless shots were recorded shooting the dragofly head shot featured on the front page of the site?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
To be pedantic I think the feature in the D850 is focus shifting or focus bracketing. Focus stacking is what you do when you take all the images and combine them into one image.

I agree with your comment. One needs to be able to specify the amount of each shift and the number of shots, and have it stop automatically if it happens to reach infinity.

By the way the dragonfly shot was not taken using the D850 focus shift feature. If you go to the thread about it you will see all the equipment used. The Stackshot controller fires the camera shutter and moves the camera.

Last edited:
When Nikon released the D850, one of the new features listed was the automated focus stacking option. I think it's design was badly fumbled - starting at CURRENT focus point and shooting until the lens’s focus is at infinity was reached. It should have been designed to start at THIS focus point and record images until THAT focus point was exceeded. This could eliminate dozens of irrelevant images cluttering up the card.

How many useless shots were recorded shooting the dragofly head shot featured on the front page of the site?
The technique I use is only remotely similar to that employed on the D850. My lens remains focused on infinity with a microscope objective mounted on the front. The whole assembly (camera & lens are then incrementally moved in steps that are shallower than the depth of field so that each shot has overlapping depth of field with the shot above and below. There were no useless shots.

The technique used by the D850 changes the focus of the lens to give overlapping shots. This method can only be used with lenses that do not have microscope objectives mounted. My understanding is that the photographer sets the position for the 1st shot and last shot and the camera calculates step size and how many steps are needed. I have never used a D850 so I am not positive that this is how it works, but a similar method is used on several other cameras.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
When Nikon released the D850, one of the new features listed was the automated focus stacking option. I think it's design was badly fumbled - starting at CURRENT focus point and shooting until the lens’s focus is at infinity was reached.
It does not shoot until focus reaches infinity. It starts from the focus point you choose and steps through the image at the step size you choose until it captures the number of frames you specify. I have capture stacks where I did not choose enough frames to stack in PS and get my desired composite depth of field.

I use the 850's focus stack feature routinely on my tabletop work. Easy peasy, at least for my present work it is much easier than my previous use of rails. I am primarily shooting flowers or similar sized subjects with a 105mm macro lens. Using capture one I can actually watch the plane of focus step back through the image, as the camera adjusts lens focus. With a little trial and error I know the number of frames and other settings needed to cover my workspace. It is now set and forget. I can worry about other things. Do I get unneeded shots once in a while? Yup. Don't care. I still just feed them all into Helicon focus and let it do its thing. I then delete all the primary images. Is it perfect? NO. But it works. Heck, in the field I have even been successful in stacking animals like alligators. Quick and easy. I actually hope they do not change it, as I have the present rendition of focus stacking working fine.
Gary

Yes Jim,

Set focus for the first shot - set number of images - set Focus Step Width etc

It will stop when the set number of shots is reached OR when the focus reaches infinity.

DG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom