What film to use?

I want to break out my Nikon RFs and do some film shooting. I am thinking about doing some landscap and people/street photography type stuff with them. Should i run some color neg or color slide thru them? Also where is the best place in terms of pricing to get film from?

Thanks

Real Name
Chris
Neither! Use only B&W film in your RF camera, or the ghost of HCB will haunt you until you do!

Heh. It matters most to you, and what you want. Do you project slides? No printed or screen based picture looks as good as a well exposed, projected slide. But if you are going to print or scan for the computer, then negatives will be easier. Better lattitude too, in case your meter is less than optimum.

July 27, 2009

You can try any of the 400 speed color print films from Fuji or Ferrania. Both of these companies make film that is equal in quality to Kodak, but lower in cost because it's market share is smaller then Kodak's. For colorprint film from Fuji your best bet, is probably Walmart or Target. For Ferrania's films, try local supermarkets and local drug stores. Most of Ferrania's films are sold under store brand names, but I have used them without any problems at all. If the film says Made in Italy on the box it is Ferrania. I have gotten Ferrania's films for as little as $1.00 a roll and it is not out of date. Some of the private label film that is in the market place is also made by Fuji so you may want to check that out as well. Fuji makes private label film for CVS, Rite-Aid and Walgreens.

For slides: Try Kodachrome 64, you can get it at a camera store in your area. Be aware that this film must be processed by Dwaynes in Parsons, Kansas, it cannot be done by yourself because the processing is extremely complex.

For landscape film try Fuji's Velvia films there are three versions in the USA, Fuji Velvia ISO 50, there also are two other versions of Velvia Fuji Velvia 100F and Fuji Velvia 100 without the F, according to some photographers the version of Velvia 100 without the F on the film box and cartridge is more intensive in terms of color.

I hope that my comments and suggestions have helped you. Good Luck.

Steve Zalewski
Syracuse Camera Club Member
Syracuse, NY

Nikon F5, Nikon N80, 70-300VR, 70-300G, 50mm F1.8D, 24mm F2.8D (both Nikkors) 60mm F2.8 AF-D Nikkor Micro, and an SB-28 flash, and a Quantaray 70-210mm push pull manual zoom lens in a Nikon mount, that I purchased at Ritz Camera recently in Syracuse brand new for $9.00. Also a Celestron C5+ astronomical telescope, I'm also an amateur astronomer.

I found some old film that has not been used incluidng multiple rolls of color print film, a roll of ektachrome and a roll of ilford fp4

Think i will give the fp4 a try

Real Name
Chris
FP4 is a traditional black and white film - most 1-hours and the like cannot develop it for you. A pro shop will, but it may take a while, or you can do it yourself.

FP4 is a traditional black and white film - most 1-hours and the like cannot develop it for you. A pro shop will, but it may take a while, or you can do it yourself.

I most likely will end up sending it out for dev once im done. I have developed film in some 15-20 yrs so doubful i'll do it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom