1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What focal length do I need to capture head shot at fifty feet?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bennettskaya, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Bennettskaya

Bennettskaya

Jan 13, 2006
    Edinburgh
    Hi

I am planning to visit a safari park here in England.

Here's my question:

What focal length do I need to capture a zebra's head at fifty or sixty feet with a D200, without cropping the image?

All practical advice gratefully received.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    On a DX format camera a 400mm lens at 50 feet (15m) will cover approx 900x600mm (3x2 feet)

3. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    I'm not sure if this will help, but...
    On the sidelines at an NFL game, we're about 90 feet from the center of the field. With my 400 on a d2h(same size sensor as your D200) I'm getting a bit more than 3/4 body height(top of helmet to below the knees). Since your talking about a third closer, I'm estimating that at 60 feet, you'd probably get from top of helmet to about the belt, or slightly higher. So maybe a 400 alone or with a 1.4 TC should get you in the area that your looking at.

4. Thanks Edward. Good information there.

Ron

5. Bennettskaya

Bennettskaya

Jan 13, 2006
    Edinburgh
    Thank you all. The field of view calculator is a great tool that allows me to play around with the numbers and get an idea of what I am likely to see.

Now just the small matter of deciding which lens to buy.

I may try renting a lens for a day so I can check things out before I buy.

Thanks again.

David

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.