What Gimbal head

Looking to get a 300 f2.8 lens in the near future and wondering what head i should get, been looking at the RRS head, i like their gear but it sells for $800 where the Wembley is $600 and i see a few others at B&H like the Custom Brackets, Induro and Jobu Design all around the $600 price range, not familiar with the gimbal head I'd like some advise please.

When you get a gimbal head, plan for the future, so you will only ever need to purchase one. By this I mean, if there is a 300mm about to be in your life, there is a liklihood of somthing larger in the future (say 500?). If you get a gimbal of lesser capacity, then you will need another for a heavier lens. Also consider the used market value of the gimbal if you decide to "walk away" from long glass. Then there is the need for an adequate tripod - same logic applies... Hope this helps.

Wimberley 2 fan here. RRS makes excellent products, but they are very expensive. I will buy from them if there are not alternatives, but there are with gimbal heads.

A couplle of more affordable options:
1) The indian gimbal runs about $200 on ebay. Has generally favorable reviews. You can google indian gimbal and research it
2) The Manfrotto 393 runs about 180. Also has a number of favorable reviews. Can support a sigmonster 300-800. Google this too for lots of info.

Not being over endowed with money I bought a Jobu and have been most pleased with it. Seems to be well made and function is flawless. Could not ask for a better piece of equipment. Price was quite a bit below Wimberly or RRS.

I ended up ordering a Wembley 2 from Roberts as i had 600 pts which is $30 credit, hope to have it next week although it will sit in the drawer till i get the lens.
At the moment with the Aussie dollar at approx $1.05 US things are much cheaper for me to get stuff from the US

Hi Boss, you are going to love your Wemberly. I use mine with several 400 mm`s, a 200-400vr, and a 800mm sigmonster. Mine sits on a masive gitzo and has been in lots of swamps, rain, drug thru briars, brush and all forms of hell and never a problem at all. I took a hard look at the RRS head when it came out and stayed with the Wimberly.

Hi Boss, you are going to love your Wemberly. I use mine with several 400 mm`s, a 200-400vr, and a 800mm sigmonster. Mine sits on a masive gitzo and has been in lots of swamps, rain, drug thru briars, brush and all forms of hell and never a problem at all. I took a hard look at the RRS head when it came out and stayed with the Wimberly.

How do you like the 200-400 i'm thinking this might be a better option than the 300

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom