1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What grandma's are for

Discussion in 'People' started by Sybull, Sep 6, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

My Mother-in-law with my nephew Harvey. Was wondering around at my twin sons birthday party with my D40, spotted this and click ! I love getting photo's like this. Whilst not technicaly brilliant, the expressions say it all.

PS If anyone is wondering, it is chocolate cake she is wiping off.

2. Very nice! Grand children are God's reward for not killing your own when they were teenagers. :biggrin: Mine are an unending source of joy in my life.

3. It is brilliant. I love his expression.

The grandmother I knew and loved is gone these many years. I think of her often. Treasure yours!

4. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Nicely caught moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2008
  5. The tighter crop really highlights their mutual facial expressions.

6. what a great shot
    and caption
    i bet that grandma would LOVE a big copy of this one on her coffee table

7. I realize you were trying to help, but editing someone else's image without their permission is a breach of Cafe Netiquette. And compounding the problem, the loss of contrast in your version greatly reduces the picture's image quality imho.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. i agree, totally. the original post is so much better. great shot!

9. Thanks for all the encouragement. I found it quite a difficult picture to get right. I was working late at night doing this. I didn't have the time or energy to do masks, dodging, burning etc so had to settle for a compromise.

I would like to see what other people could do with this photographs. I think it is a great way to learn (somthing undreamt of with 35mm). Below is the original photo (albeit reduced to 8-bit jpeg). Please feel free to copy it and have a go.

[​IMG]

10. UF's comment is very cogent. The edit escaped my notice for which I apologize. Remember, you should ask first before you edit someone's image.

Thanks, Rich

11. My try.

102790602.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

12. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    I have never seen a request to edit/repost an image turned down.

Perhaps the Cafe could yield to efficiency and put an option in one's profile that allows others' to process any posted image, rather than enforcing the silly kind of over-politeness that seems to pass for gentility here but just wastes time.

edithe9.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Secondly, why don't the mods spend equally as much time prodding those posters who thoughtlessly either post multitudes of large pictures on one thread, who start largely redundant threads that garner numbers of responses with little benefit or those people who quote threads with pictures and include the image in their reply. All of these are contrary to the highly vaunted netiquette and actually do damage to the Cafe.

13. You ask for this change in another forum, so we've already taken the suggestion under consideration to see if it can be done with this software and then you turn around and publicly challenge the moderators here; perhaps you can wait more than a few hours for an answer before you berate us .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.