What happened? Please help.

I stopped to take a picture with a brand new D850 with an 85mm lens and the pic is white. Had no issues indoors. Only outdoors.

6F52069E-6808-4AE7-B04E-C59CE817EABB.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It is possible to have exposure settings that work indoors, but not outside. If you post the exposure settings from the image we can be of more help. I experienced a similar issue with one of my lenses when the aperture blades got sticky and wouldn't close fast enough.

What do you mean by "pic is white"? Are you talking about the "love" statue photo on the screen? I can see the photo fine. It doesn't look white. Perhaps a bit over exposed. Can you post the actual photo so we can see the EXIF? Perhaps you accidentally increased your exposure compensation.

It is possible to have exposure settings that work indoors, but not outside. If you post the exposure settings from the image we can be of more help. I experienced a similar issue with one of my lenses when the aperture blades got sticky and wouldn't close fast enough.

Here are the settings I got from Photoshop:
As above, we need all your camera settings- iso, fstop, shutterspeed.
Let us know, and we can help
Gary

Thank you. Here are the settings and the camera was in P mode so that is what is so strange.

Attachments

• Exposure 2.jpg
    Exposure 2.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 381
  • exposure 1.jpg
    exposure 1.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
In Matrix metering, the location of the focus point can greatly affect your exposure reading. That could be why the white words are white.
Also, looks like it was shot through a window screen—that would throw off the exposure reading.

Many possibilities. In matrix metering, whites often get blown out. When we shoot white birds in sunlight, we usually set exposure comp from minus 1.3 to minus 2. I shot with the d850 for years- my favorite camera I ever held. But the metering did take some getting used to.
This does look like a clear day?? The sunny 16 rule should be close. If that assumption is correct, your exposure values are way off. Using your first set of values you are about 9 stops overexposed. Using the second set of values you are about 3.5 stops over. Although equipment failures can occur- in my experience the vast majority of the times (especially with a new camera), it is part of the learning curve. Learn to look at your images and adjust in the field. Turn on blinkies, learn how to read a histogram.
Personally I usually just shoot in completely manual mode, using experience to get close and then blinkies to nail exposure. But, if you want to stay in automated modes like program mode, the exposure compensation dial will be your new best friend. You probably need to adjust that for every new lighting situation.
And get out of program mode, P does not stand for professional. Try A, it gives you more control.
Go shoot some more.
Gary

Can't you just post the unedited photo here? Stop with the screen shots of the camera back and computer screen. The photo will have EXIF data that may prove helpful.

Also, you need to learn to get out of P mode. I'm surprised you would shoot in that mode given your photographic experience. Try controlling at least some aspect of your photos by shooting in A (aperture priority) mode.

The settings don't seem out of line. I suggest checking the aperture blades on your lens to make sure they are not sticky. If so, the lens will not stop down to the set aperture quickly enough to get proper exposure and effectively is always wide open. So it works indoors but not outside in sunlight.

The settings don't seem out of line. I suggest checking the aperture blades on your lens to make sure they are not sticky. If so, the lens will not stop down to the set aperture quickly enough to get proper exposure and effectively is always wide open. So it works indoors but not outside in sunlight.

I'm still wondering if she accidentally added positive exposure compensation. I don't see that information in her screen shots.

Latest threads

Top Bottom