What happened? Please help.

Melissa: You mentioned that you had the same problem with the D3S. Check those bad photos if you still have them to determine if the same lens was mounted on the camera. The chances of having two faulty cameras or two faulty lenses is phenomenally small, so I'm leaning to the likelihood that you had the problem using the same lens on two cameras and that the lens is faulty.

To be super confident about your determination, I still think you should follow Richard's recommendation of conducting his test of your 85mm lens on two cameras.

Last edited:
You have it the wrong way round. To quote what I pointed out "As you say, the photo Exposure 2 relates to the first photo (0067) and exposure 1 relates to the second photo (0068)."
In addition the second exposure is placed to the left of the first exposure...
This is confusing...
The outdoor picture, 0068, was metered 6 stops brighter, 1/160, f/6.3. (I checked the EXIF).
Accidentally bumped AE lock?

It will only take Melissa two minutes to make the test I suggested, and that will prove it.

I don't think she will be able to follow your suggestion.

How about she just set the camera to M and take two photos of the same subject and same ISO (400). One at a f1.4 and the other at f16 keeping the shutterspeed at 1/250. Then post the two photos here for us to view so we can see the EXIF.

If the aperture blades are stuck on the 85mm, we should be able to figure that out.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I don't think she will be able to follow your suggestion.

How about she just set the camera to M and take two photos of the same subject and same ISO (400). One at a f1.4 and the other at f16 keeping the shutterspeed at 1/250. Then post the two photos here for us to view so we can see the EXIF.

If the aperture blades are stuck on the 85mm, we should be able to figure that out.
Yes, that should work. Setting it to A would work too.
Then trying the same thing on her other cameras with the same lens would be helpful in deciding which item is not working.

@Catz
Press the 2 green buttons to reset your camera back to factory default. Read this and use his settings if they fit your shooting style ...
https://photographylife.com/recommended-nikon-d850-settings

I will give that a try. I used the reset buttons in the menu but will try it this way and change the settings to see if that makes a difference. I usually prefer Manual mode but sometimes I'm not that quick with moving subjects so I use Program mode but there has to be something I'm doing wrong or it's the 85mm lens that's the issue. I'm going away this weekend to take my son who has Autism to Ashland Train Day and will try it out plus it's suppose to be warm.

Thank you

Last edited:
I will give that a try. I used the reset buttons in the menu but will try it this way and change the settings to see if that makes a difference. I usually prefer Manual mode but sometimes I'm not that quick with moving subjects so I use Program mode but there has to be something I'm doing wrong or it's the 85mm lens that's the issue. I'm going away this weekend to take my son who has Autism to Ashland Train Day and will try it out plus it's suppose to be warm.

Thank you

Don't take your 85mm lens with you this special weekend unless you want overexposed photos.

Good news everyone. Thank you all for your suggestions. So went to Ashland Train Day and used my Nikon 60 lens and tested it to see why it won't work outside where the pictures are almost unusable. The only way it would take a picture is if the camera were in M, S, or A modes. So I don't know why it acts up outside in P mode. I find it strange because the D850 is really getting great reviews on it. So I don't know if this something that can f

Latest threads

Top Bottom