What happens if you stop your subscription to Photoshop CC?

Real Name
Ian
Bummer. Once they've got you...
The joys of SaaS...

If you only use Photoshop for pixel-level edits (and process your RAWs elsewhere), check out Affinity Photo. I've been very happy with it for editing (although I feel their RAW developer isn't quite up-to-snuff, so I develop my RAWS outside of Affinity Photo, and bring them in for any edits later).

The joys of SaaS...

If you only use Photoshop for pixel-level edits (and process your RAWs elsewhere), check out Affinity Photo. I've been very happy with it for editing (although I feel their RAW developer isn't quite up-to-snuff, so I develop my RAWS outside of Affinity Photo, and bring them in for any edits later).

Thanks for the suggestion. So you save .tiff files to edit with Affinity? I'll check it out.

They haven't actually "gotten" me yet. I'm still getting by with PS CS 5.1 standalone and have never signed up for CC. I do my raw development with DxO PhotoLab, but am envious of some of the tricks available in the latest versions of PS.

"Saas" => ?

Thanks for the suggestion. So you save .tiff files to edit with Affinity? I'll check it out.

They haven't actually "gotten" me yet. I'm still getting by with PS CS 5.1 standalone and have never signed up for CC. I do my raw development with DxO PhotoLab, but am envious of some of the tricks available in the latest versions of PS.

"Saas" => ?
Software as a Service.

You can come across
PaaS Print as a Service
IaaS Infrastructure as a Service
DaaS Device as a Service
Xaas Everything as a Service

and many more acronyms.

I tend to think of the subscription as more of a utility, just like my broadband, satellite, and cell phone "subscriptions". But I understand that it is a change that many feel uncomfortable with. In doing some clean up recently I threw away expensive old perpetual license software that over time had become "perpetually" out of date and useless. So to me the subscription model makes sense and it is not just Adobe that is moving that way.

I don't understand the notion that Adobe has gotten anyone that decides to end their CC subscription. As far as I can tell, it's no different than changing from one car to another; you can get to the same places using the new car though with different features and capabilities, so you no longer need the old car.
It's possible that I'm missing something here, but I do see it as Adobe "getting me" if I go with the subscription model. For example, I have thousands of files with Lightroom edits that are applied to my photos whenever I export them from Lightroom. And, what about all the edits (layers) that are contained within all of those psd files--all lost, correct? At least with my standalone version (which I am currently using), I can access all of my edits.

Glenn

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I tend to think of the subscription as more of a utility, just like my broadband, satellite, and cell phone "subscriptions". But I understand that it is a change that many feel uncomfortable with. In doing some clean up recently I threw away expensive old perpetual license software that over time had become "perpetually" out of date and useless. So to me the subscription model makes sense and it is not just Adobe that is moving that way.
Luke, if some companies are moving this way, it doesn't mean it's the way the customers like.
I'll stay with CS6 and my D700 and D3S are working great with it.

Kind regards
Klaus

Can I make another suggestion. Perhaps you can buy Adobe Elements as a download to open the latest raws via ACR and if you need more intensive PS control, you can still use the stand alone Photoshop version to do so. I'm thinking this is decent workaround for those who don't want to be stuck with a subscription.

I'll stay with CS6 and my D700 and D3S are working great with it.

Understand. If you have no need to upgrade your cameras, you have no need to update your editing programs. And should you update to a camera that is not supported there is the Adobe DNG converter. It is free and Adobe keeps it current with support of new models. The DNGs from the converter can then be edited in Lightroom and Photoshop versions that don't support the raw files from that model. I have three cameras whose raw is a DNG file, and experience no problem with that format.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Understand. If you have no need to upgrade your cameras, you have no need to update your editing programs. And should you update to a camera that is not supported there is the Adobe DNG converter. It is free and Adobe keeps it current with support of new models. The DNGs from the converter can then be edited in Lightroom and Photoshop versions that don't support the raw files from that model. I have three cameras whose raw is a DNG file, and experience no problem with that format.
Luke, the company I'm working uses a lot of Adobe products (FrameMaker, Illustrator, Acrobat etc.). We didn't made any update since the CC versions apeared. The concerns in our company went into that direction.

Regards
Klaus

A couple of years ago, I took a month long trip where I had no access to the internet, so I was concerned that somehow my CC would disable itself. I contacted Adobe and they told me not to worry.

I have thousands of files with Lightroom edits that are applied to my photos whenever I export them from Lightroom. And, what about all the edits (layers) that are contained within all of those psd files--all lost, correct? At least with my standalone version (which I am currently using), I can access all of my edits.

If you re-edit lots of files and don't want to have to start over from scratch, that's a legitimate concern. (I rarely re-edit files but I realize that doesn't apply to everyone.) However, your software being used under a perpetual license may not work on future operating systems. That's a particularly troubling issue if the developer goes out of business.

If you re-edit lots of files and don't want to have to start over from scratch, that's a legitimate concern. (I rarely re-edit files but I realize that doesn't apply to everyone.) However, your software being used under a perpetual license may not work on future operating systems. That's a particularly troubling issue if the developer goes out of business.
Yes...I assume that I'll have to update my software eventually. I'm using CS5 with Windows 7. But, I am holding off for now.

Glenn

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Yes...I assume that I'll have to update my software eventually. I'm using CS5 with Windows 7. But, I am holding off for now.

Glenn

And you consistently produce outstanding photos in spite of not having the latest and greatest! :)

I am pretty sure that you can install CS5 from the original media on a Windows 10 computer as long as you do not do an auto-install. You probably have to run the installation in "compatibility mode" (Windows 7) to get a clean install. I have done that with several older programs and most of them have worked fine - YMMV

Real Name
Randy
I process them using the same workflow that I have always used. I import the NEF into my standalone version of Lightroom. From there, I make some general edits before passing the file over to Photoshop CS5. I work with the PSD file in Photoshop.

Glenn
I didn’t realize the non cc version of ACR could digest D850 raw files, nice to know just in case

Latest threads

Top Bottom