1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What Have You Forgotten?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adr3naline, Sep 22, 2008.

1. So, I had this big photography weekend planned. My Dad, Grandpa, Brother, and myself were going to go up in the mountains and get some good fall shots. We park, hike a ways in, and start taking pictures. I strapped my tripod on my backpack. Just when I needed it, I realized I didn't pack the tripod connection piece! I've done it before, and was able to still get a picture or two by placing it on a rock, or even strapping the camera down to the tripod! I just couldn't get the depth of field I wanted... it was a disappointing trip!

My grandpa told me about a time after he'd been hiking he had forgotten the body of his camera!

So, what have you forgotten when you're out on a photo excursion?

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Keep a list of things in your bag that are a must...go throught that list when you plan to take a trip. I've done this before too.

3. kurbs

kurbs

Feb 11, 2008
    Watertown CT
    I bought two tripods and lost both the top peices :(  so i forget them all the time :smile:

I forget to turn my camera off and the battery dies but never ussually forget any equipment

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    So far nothing, but I tend to take too much just in case, you never know :biggrin:

5. I seem to forget the small things from time to time, especially when I am in a hurry to pack things just before I leave. If I organize the night before, I am generally very thorough and will not forget anything. In fact, I'll bring too much. With that said, I have forgotten my tripods, filters, remote trigger, a particular lens I was wanting to use or even a camera body I had intentions to use. It happens to most of us. My best advice, take time to breathe and think before taking your first step out.

God Bless,
    David

6. Same deal. I once planned a long hike (2 miles uphill) to a waterfall to get pictures. Lugged along the D200+17-55, Gitzo with Kirk BH-3 ballhead, filters, etc; got there and realized I didn't have the tripod plate.

I managed to improvise by removing the ballhead and screwing the camera directly into the head mounting screw. This meant that I had to level and frame my shots by adjusting the length of various tripod legs, but I got some shots!

7. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    I have forgotten the rocket blower before and paid the price.

8. The battery charger. Weeklong backpacking trip through Yosemite. Staying at the high mountain camps, where they have electrical outlets for plugging in a battery charger. I however, left battery charger sitting on desk at home. Still had a great trip, but ran out of juice on the third day. Now I carry extra, extra batteries!

Michael

9. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Last time I went away I forgot my 18-55 and was therefore stuck with all primes, most of which don't meter and certainly won't AF with my D50.

10. gladjo

gladjo Guest

I forgot to charge my battery on vacation and when we got back to the room, no charger. :Teeth:

11. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    I went to shoot a college volleyball game two hours from my house and forgot memory cards. I was so worried about pocket wizards, lights, batteries, etc, I forgot the memory cards! DUH!!! It is funny, because like many others have suggested here, I ALWAYS make a list of what to bring with me on a particular shoot well in advance, so I don't forget to pack anything. I had never put memory cards on my list, because it is so obvious...Fortunately, my mom had met me there for dinner and ran across the street to Staples and picked up a few for me. They were even on sale :) 

12. One more: drove 40 miles to hike Buffalo Mountain to a spectacular viewpoint; found I'd left the CF card in the computer at home. :actions1:

13. I have gone off without memory cards and extra batteries. Now I try to prepare a list for whatever I'm doing before hand.

14. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    How about forgetting that my ISO was set at 3200? Done that a couple of times.

And my all time worst was last week, I left my SB800 behind where I had been shooting - by the time I got back it was gone. Boo hoo.

15. My power converter when I was in Chile for two weeks. Batteries made it but I was limited so much on shooting time it became very frustrating.

16. Nothing big so far. Few times where if forgottne my CF card or my battery. I geuss that would be worse than an extra lens since you cant shoot without them.

17. I forgot my tripod plate when I went to shoot a wedding a couple months ago. Everything suddenly became a handheld adventure. I won't do that again.

18. I drive an hour to a photo session, setup my lights, get the light meter out and get all the lights where I want them and then looked for my camera bag. Yup - I left it home... Fortunately for me, my nephew met us at the session and had his D70 and 50mm f/1.8 lens. I used them while he and Linda went home to retrieve my gear.

I packed up (almost) all my studio gear for a location shoot once and forgot the lights... Fortunately if was a session for me so I made do with speed-lights instead...

While leaving for a wedding this past Saturday, I got down the block and then remembered I left my flash bracket home.

19. Packed all my 5x4 gear into my backpak drove 5 hours, hiked for 1, eventually got there, scouted another half hour for a good composition set up tripod camera, spent 10 mins focusing setting camera movements had the perfect shot setup, chechked light levels calculated exposure taking into account filters etc etc went for the velvia quickload that I keep in the outside pockets of the backpack, guess what? yep still in the fridge 350 miles away! and what really stings is I never take my digital when I go ut wth my LF.

20. Reminds me of the day that I forgot my CF card in the card reader in my apartment. It was a day that featured huge, billowy, clouds contrasted against a blue sky and I was excited to get some shots of the Temple of Heaven. Clear days are a rarity in Beijing and the Temple of Heaven was a good 45 minutes from my house on the subway. I got there just as the light was ripening, turn on my camera, and had my day ruined.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.