What have you learnt in 2005 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by simonramsden, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Its been a busy and long year, full of ups and downs.

Ups ::biggrin:
    Made the jump from CP8700 to D70 in April and have been delighted with the response from this camera. Fast focus, instant power on... etc.
    Downs :
    Dropped my D70 and broke the lens mount clean off.:mad:

So, what have I learnt ?
    Technology - figured out remote commander mode with my SB-600, that's a cool feature. Played a bit with long exposures and reversed lens macro. Lots of work here for next year.
    Technique - I'm learning to see better, composition is improved, as well and spending a bit more time thinking about the shot, keeper ratio is up. Preparation and Patience - I'm learning to live with them.

All in all I'm happy with this years results. Roll on 2006.

How have you faired ?

2. Bought my D70 in Oct 2004, so basically spent all of 2005 learning how to shoot with it.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I have learned Birds are evil and costing me to much money for gear to be able to shoot what I want. grrrrrrr

The best of the year was meeting the great folks I have had the privledge to shoot with from the Nikon Cafe !!!!!!!!

Come on Merritt !!! Heck 5 of us got together yesterday . The weather was awful. In spite of that is was a great fun day. Met a new member Steve S.. Boy he is a hoot. Kept us laughing for sure.
    Thanks Guys :>))
    Harry H's wife Linda joined us for lunch. So wa a great day.

One new duck...lol

4. You can never have a lens long enough of fast enough ! :eek:

I'd love to come along to one of your meets - unfortunately they take place the wrong side of the pond. :mad: Glad you had fun. :biggrin:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Simon.
    Yep long and fast. Thats the name of it for sure.
    Well now I have a faster camera. Will help for sure, but Lenses are the $$$$$ big problem. Will never be able to get one of those.

Hope the Other side of the Pond gets closer for you one day. Would love to meet you. Would love to see your side of the pond toooo :>))))

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours....

6. The UK is a most photogenic place - you'd love it. Lots of history and being an island, plenty of sea birds.

My brother lives just outside Atlanta Georgia, usually get to jump on a plane with my wife every 2 years or so to meet him - with 3 kids its not as cheap as it used to be.

Have a great Christmas.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Uh, what fast camera Gale? Did I miss something along the way while getting ready for the big family holiday feast at our house last Saturday?

As to 2005, I have to agree that the friends that I've met here at the Cafe, both virtually, and in-person was definitely the highlight of my year. My shooting skills got a little better. On the down side, I fell and broke my D2H, but on the up side, this led me to get a second one at a great deal from fellow Cafe member Mike Mac. Only problem there was that I had to sell the D70 to help pay for it. On the up side, I sold it to another Cafe member Chris Palmer and he is doing great with it. :smile:

For 2006 I look forward to shooting even more, with friends from the Cafe here in Huntsville and at Merritt III in February. I'm still lusting for a really long lens but will have to wait until the budget recovers from all of the other purchases that I've made to support this addicting (but wonderful) hobby. :rolleyes:

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    What I've learned,

is that you should always go through a checklist, be it mental or physical, before going out on a shoot. And, if it's a paid gig, always bring your backup camera!

9. What a year this has been!

I've learned that photography is painting with light, so I take less pictures of things and am trying to use things to make pictures. Not trying to be obscure here, really.

I learned to love my first DSLR, the D70. That took me about a minute from the first time I used it. And I learned that having a better camera doesn't make you a better photographer.

I learned that shooting RAW and processing using lab in Photoshop can give extraordinary results.

And I just recently learned that Nikon Cafe is the most helpful and friendliest place out there.

I hope everyone's year was as good as mine. :)

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yep you missed the news Flewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

D200 will be here thursday :>))))

I really did not mean to say yessssssssss... Honest

The Devil made Ken L and I both do it along with Todd and a few others ...lolol

Damn B&H..

Just to think we held out for so long ....lololol

Cheers My Friend.

Hope the Family Christmas get together is wonderful...

Hi Janie, Merry Christmas :>)))))

11. My wife's Christmas present comes before the D200 or the 85mm 1.4.:smile:

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey Steve,
    Don't forget your velcro and glue.....

rofl

13. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    I'm in the process...

of learning about studio lighting using strobes and umbrellas. But it's gonna be a long haul, I fear. I have learned, however, that constantly setting up and taking down the whole shebang is a royal pain in the a**!

14. I learned not to leave camera gear in view inside your vehicle. I had about 2/3 of my gear stolen but thankfully it was all replace by insurance. I also ventured out and did some sports shots and want to continue learning that. Next year I will be learning the finer points of studio shots.

God Bless,
    David

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gale,

That is wonderful. I know that you will love it.

Way to go gal pal. :wink:

16. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Have learned....

that even simple snapshot folks like me are welcome at Nikon Cafe. Being such nice folks even makes up for the bad coffee served at the cafe :wink:
    You all have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

17. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I learned that I need more money.
    I'm trying to learn to be content with what I have and make the most of it. Or at least be patient until I can get what I want. But being patient is absolutely no fun.:wink:

18. I have learned that I know NOTHING as it relates to digital imaging, and vow to learn as much as possible in the coming year.

19. I learned that I learned so little over the years, and there are so much to be learned.

20. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow.. I learned that I wasn't as good of a photographer as I thought I was, in fact I was among the worst in the world.... Oh wait that was over in the D70 forums on DPR, then I found the Nikon Cafe and found out that I was a good photographer, but had a lot to learn. Being pushed by some great photographers here, I feel that i am a lot better than a year ago.
    I have gone from 1 D70 to 2, plus a D2H is on it's way to me now.
    Lens Lust is nasty!!!!
    I found out that sometimes it is better to have extra camera bodies and keep the lenses attached all the time instead of changing them and having to clean CCD's!
    Oh the list could go on for a while...
    In closing, I have learned that Flew and Patrick are some of the best guys in the world for hosting this forum. Thanks Guys.