What I did on my b'day....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I shot GBH's, what else. :eek:

Here are a few from last Sunday. All taken with the D2H / 300 2.8 + 1.4 TC, and processed using CS2 (I bought myself a birthday present :rolleyes:). I gave up on the Fred Miranda Intellisharpen II plug in with this new version of Photoshop, and used the new Smart Sharpen tool (the FM plug-in seems to have a bug in CS2 that it didn't have in CS, but I think I'm going to like S/S).

Since my sharpening process has changed, I would appreciate your thoughts on these images. Too much sharpening? Not enough?? This new process seems to really hold down the halo, so I may have pushed it a tad to far. Please let me know what you think.

Touch down:

[​IMG]

Am I pretty or what??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just gliding along (panning like crazy on these):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shakin' that booty:

[​IMG]

Posing:

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. :smile:

2. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    They look fine to me Frank. Not bad for such an old dude. :wink:
    On a couple of the flight shots you might have sharpened them a smidge more than you needed but not an issue unless you are reallying looking for something.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the feedback Harry. Have you upgraded to CS2 yet? If so, have you tried the Smart sharpening tool, and what do you think?

4. What a wonderful way to celebrate your day, Frank! Really like #2 & #3. Agree with Harry on the sharpening issue and congrat's on joining us in the ranks of CS2 users!

Happy Thankgiving! We have a lot to be thankful for!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Very nice Frank... I have just recently started playing with the Smart Sharpening tool in CS2 and I am very impressed with it.

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

They all look good to me, Frank. And I don't agree with Harry about the flight shots, although maybe he's got better eyes than me and I might change my mind after seeing full size images. As always, all of these are wonderful shots.

Gordon

Oops, I forgot something. Happy birthday! You're 35 now, right? :tongue:

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Virginia. I always preach about keeping sharpening under control. Guess I don't have this new process quite calibrated yet. :redface:

I appreciate the honest feedback. :wink:

You are right about having lots to be thankful for. Having all of our wonderful friends at the Cafe just makes it even better. :smile:

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Dave and Gordon. Gordon, these are the full sized (processed) shots. I learned from Yves to size my shots for the web, so that smugmug doesn't mess with my shots.

Dave, do you use the advanced option in Smart Sharpen, or just the basic settings?

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Happy Birthday Frank glad you had a good one !!

These look great really great on my Mac I can't see anything I'd call oversharpened, but on my windows machine maybe if I look real hard just a tad. Never used the filter, what were your settings? Also, please what do you mean about size so Smugmug don't mess?

Have a great Thanksgiving!

10. good to see you can still carry the rig at that advanced age....:cool:

nice shots

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks a lot Harris. I managed to stagger down to the edge of the river somehow. :rolleyes:

Ben, when I first started posting images (over at DPR and other forums), I would upload a fairly large version of the image, because they looked much better to me on my local system. Then, I would select the medium or large image from smugmug as the link to my posts. What Yves (and others that seemed to know what they were talking about) told me was that you should size your images to whatever dimensions that you planned to post, and then the software on the hosting site (smugmug in my case) would not be used to down-size the image to the selected display size. The reasoning is that my resize algorithms are probably better than theirs.

It makes a pretty big difference in the quality of the posted image. I've been doing it that way ever since. :smile:

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    BTW Ben, I'm about to shut down my system to rearrange my office here at home (I got a new computer desk yesterday). I'll answer your questions about the S/S settings when I come back up.

Later,

13. Well done Frank, the images look good to me from a sharpening standpoint.

Some of the clipping helps me understand why you really want the 200-400VR, but I'm still not so sure...

14. Happy Birthday Frank! ..and I think the new shapring looks darn pretty good on my 1900x1200 lcd laptop screen.

15. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

So far the basic settings.. I don't consider myself a expert when it comes to sharpening, so I have been just sicking with the basic setting so far.

16. Well, it looks like Mr. GBH was putting on a great show for you on your special day, Frank. Very nice captures!

17. I think you did fine on the sharpening Frank. I wouldn't change a thing. On my computer, they look great. I like heavy sharpening myself. I like being able to see details so what you did with with s/s is really nice.

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent all the way around Frank.
    And yes he is beautiful.

All the sharpening looks fine here.
    I use s/s myself in both basic and advanced....Depends on the image.
    I also sharpen in LAB luminosity as well depending on the image. Sometimes one of the channels and not the whole thing. Depending on how the image looks.

19. I love em Frank. Me thinks you may be having a bit of a snag in remembering(at your advanced age) where all the computer wires go after putting the new desk together as you have not returned yet :^)

20. Happy B-day Mr. GBH! What a wonderful series from a day older young man :wink: I cant say I agree with Harry, I dont think they are over sharpened, I think nicely done to taste, no halo's, exposed beautifully. Two thumbs up buddy! you da' master GBH'er!

original.