"What in the world is that!!!"...

I was down at my local marsh/Wildlife Area in the middle of OH-IO. Looking for a bird that was not supposed to be there...I didn't find it.

However as I looked in the water, I saw a head that from my vantage point looked like a snake swishing through the water. "What in the world was that, there aren't any water snakes in this area." (There really aren't that many there.) I get my camera up and out to 450mm and see this:

Iguana?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No really, an Iguana?...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Obviously it's a local's pet gone bad. I've alerted the DNR and am hoping they or one the rescue centers come out and rescue it.

But what's next alligators?:eek:

looks like a green iguana to me :) I had one for 8 years (I miss Godzilla)

nice find! and good call on the DNR too...poor guy wouldn't last the winter out there...

nice find! and good call on the DNR too...poor guy wouldn't last the winter out there...
I would hope that someone catches him soon! We don't need anyone like that breeding in this habitat. He would probably wreak havoc on the local bird population. Too many "pets" are either escaping or being released into the wild and they have no natural enemies. :frown:

Pretty sure the little guy is a herbivore. It's the monitors that eat the baby scrub jays and gopher tortoises.

He does need a home though.

Looks like an escapee to me. In what area did you see "it"?
Big Island Wildlife Area near the caretaker's house.

Yep, I wish whomever had this one would have just turned it over to critter control. I gave some pictures to my DNR friend, and I'm sure that they will get it.

I would hope that someone catches him soon! We don't need anyone like that breeding in this habitat. He would probably wreak havoc on the local bird population. Too many "pets" are either escaping or being released into the wild and they have no natural enemies. :frown:
Pretty sure the little guy is a herbivore. It's the monitors that eat the baby scrub jays and gopher tortoises.

He does need a home though.
Like pia said, in nature it is a herbivore.

Wow, that's a pretty huge one at that. I hope DNR can trap him to protect the local fauna.
Me too. I estimated it to be from three to four feet with a seven inch girth.

Good eye -- Jack Hanna will take him
...I don't know if I would wish that on a poor lizard...:biggrin:

Thanks to everyone who looked and who replied.

Yup, common iguana. Someone has lost a 'pet'.

They are indeed herbivorous and it probably would not survive the winter season in that region.

Hope this gets sorted out.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom