What IR conversion did you use?

I want to buy a used Nikon to convert, but I don't know much about IR conversion services except for Life Pixel. Please tell me what service you used, how much it cost, and your thought on their service (how good it was)?

Thanks

I want to buy a used Nikon to convert, but I don't know much about IR conversion services except for Life Pixel. Please tell me what service you used, how much it cost, and your thought on their service (how good it was)?

Thanks

I had mine done by Jim Chen at http://www.jimchenphoto.com/ . I was quite pleased with his service, and IIRC it was about 1/2 price of Life Pixel. (About $200 to convert my D80. This was a year or two ago....)

I had a D200 converted to the 720 filter at LifePixel about a year ago. Great service and quick turn around time.

Thanks. But I just read the Jim Chen does not do conversion at this time :(

That's correct. I exchanged e-mails with Jimmy about 3 months ago - he said he's just too busy these days.

I opted to use LifePixel for my conversion (D300) and I'm very happy with their service. They promptly returned e-mails when I had WB questions. My IR D300 produces some excellent IR images, but you have to get a feel for the editing so be patient - especially with the color images.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I have used both Life Pixels (D100) and Jim Chen (D70). Either one will do. Too bad Jim isn't doing it now.

I hear that the D200 makes a great IR camera.

Thanks guy. I am thinking about buy a used D70 to convert because I could not see any one sells an already converted one, and I am on a limited budget, so your inputs are very helpful.

I have had 3 done by Vitaly at Life Pixel. Cant recommend anyone higher than them. There are other companies out there I'm sure, but everyone you talk to thats had him do it has had nothing but praise. Thats worth something. Plus they will calibrate the camera to whatever lens you want to send them too....since IR converges differently than visible light does.

That said, I have a d70s converted by LP in the for sale forum right now if you are interested.
bb

I used Pro Camera Repair of San Diego, but had to get the AF recalibrated myself, as they either forgot or didnt do it right first time. To give them credit they did refund me the amount it cost to have the recal done, the job was very clean and very quick too, even for USA to UK. Cheap too !!!! Via ebay.

I have had 3 done by Vitaly at Life Pixel. Cant recommend anyone higher than them. There are other companies out there I'm sure, but everyone you talk to thats had him do it has had nothing but praise. Thats worth something. Plus they will calibrate the camera to whatever lens you want to send them too....since IR converges differently than visible light does.

That said, I have a d70s converted by LP in the for sale forum right now if you are interested.
bb

Hi Brad,

I am the one who bought the D70s from you in FM. I could not access the for sale forum here since I do not have 300 posts yet, so I use FM as my main forum to search for used gear. Oh, my nickname is different because I share with a friend :D

Latest threads

Top Bottom