What is causing this odd color block on some jpg's?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Background: I process an image in PS CC2019.....then use "Save As" to create a .jpg which I then upload to my website.

Problem: Recently I have noticed that in viewing the jpg's in Bridge, a few of the jpg's have a red or blue (could be another color also) rectangle somewhere in/on the image. When I "purge cache for this selection", the odd colored rectangle always goes away and the image appears normal.

What could be causing this? Monitor is starting to fail? Software? Or ????? Should I be concerned?

My monitor is an NEC PA301W that I purchased in Sept 2015. It has had a lot of use.

The location and structuring of Bridge's Cache was changed in Br CC 2019.

I suspect that the corruption which you have seen is probable due to a corrupted Cache.

I suggest that you trash your entire existing Cache and build a new Cache in the default folder (which is defined for Br CC 2019 as shown in the Br Prefs) .

I am fairly sure that doing this will cure the corruption which you have been seeing.

This document explains the new Cache:
Work with shared and centrally managed Bridge cache

I am a single user but I work with two computers so I have adopted the new "Shared Cache" in CC 2019 and it works very well for me.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The location and structuring of Bridge's Cache was changed in Br CC 2019.

I suspect that the corruption which you have seen is probable due to a corrupted Cache.

I suggest that you trash your entire existing Cache and build a new Cache in the default folder (which is defined for Br CC 2019 as shown in the Br Prefs) .

I am fairly sure that doing this will cure the corruption which you have been seeing.
Thanks, Ann. I've also noticed that PS is using a LOT more memory than before...and being slower. I have 16 GB of RAM and PS seems to be using 5-7 GB regularly. Have you noticed this? Assigning keywords to multiple images is much slower......and I no longer see a progress bar in Bridge.

The slowness in Br is almost certainly due to a corrupted Cache. I would trash all Bridge Prefs (but first save a copy of your Keywords and Collections files to another folder on your Mac). Shut down the Mac and reboot.

You might choose to remove Br (through ACC) and then re-install it.

The Progress Bar has disappeared from Br and there is strong User support for it to be returned!

If Ps is slow, trash it's Prefs and possible remove and re-install that as well.
Ps allots and reserves RAM depending on your last usage but is only using what it actually needs. 5 GB seems very moderate with the large files from a D850.
-----
I added to my first post while you were posting so do take a look at the additions.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I called Puget to ask about increasing my RAM (currently 16GB). When using Aurora to process 7 HDRs taken with the D850 the Task Manager shows usage at 99%. That memory usage coupled with PS alone using 70-80% seems to mean that increasing my RAM to 32 GB is a worthwhile move.

Good to know that the users are championing the return of the progress bar! LOL!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
In an experiment loading 47 images at once, each 20MP, and merging them, PS alone was using 18GB. The operating system and other software was using quite a bit as well. So if you have many large images or layers loaded at one time, going to 32GB is a good idea. I have 32 GB on my two main machines. Also remember that Windows 10 makes intelligent use of any spare memory as a cache to speed things up, another benefit.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
In an experiment loading 47 images at once, each 20MP, and merging them, PS alone was using 18GB. The operating system and other software was using quite a bit as well. So if you have many large images or layers loaded at one time, going to 32GB is a good idea. I have 32 GB on my two main machines. Also remember that Windows 10 makes intelligent use of any spare memory as a cache to speed things up, another benefit.
Thanks, Richard. I called Puget Systems and the service tech (who seemed "younger"! LOL!) basically told me I would be wasting money upgrading the memory. That didn't made sense to me, since my CPU is rarely maxed....... I tried to explain that in preparing 5-7 D850 images to HRD using Aurora....or using PS in general was taxing the memory. His response ".... if you are onloy using 70-80% of memory"....there is no need to add additional memory. Not a good return for the money......"

I can replace the current 4x4 - 4 GBs with 4-8 GBs of memory....or ????

Here is my configuration: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz, 6 core 12 MB 130W, Asus P9X79 Deluxe, 16 GB RAM, nVidia Quadro 4000 2 GB, Antec 850 PS, Antec P183 V3 case

I'm hesitant to trash ALL cache since only random jpgs seem to exihibit the color block on display.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks, Richard. I called Puget Systems and the service tech (who seemed "younger"! LOL!) basically told me I would be wasting money upgrading the memory. That didn't made sense to me, since my CPU is rarely maxed....... I tried to explain that in preparing 5-7 D850 images to HRD using Aurora....or using PS in general was taxing the memory. His response ".... if you are onloy using 70-80% of memory"....there is no need to add additional memory. Not a good return for the money......"

I can replace the current 4x4 - 4 GBs with 4-8 GBs of memory....or ????

Here is my configuration: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz, 6 core 12 MB 130W, Asus P9X79 Deluxe, 16 GB RAM, nVidia Quadro 4000 2 GB, Antec 850 PS, Antec P183 V3 case

I'm hesitant to trash ALL cache since only random jpgs seem to exihibit the color block on display.
He is correct in saying that if you never get near to using it all there is no point in buying more. But you said you had seen it using 99% of memory. Simply tell them you want to buy the memory that is right for that motherboard, they will know the exact spec. If the board has 4 slots that you will need four 8GB DIMMs, which is what I have. But do be careful to get exactly the right ones.

The problem is that you almost certainly now have TWO Bridge Caches: the old one for Br. CC 2018 and a new one for CC 2019.
Also, do not move the Cache from Bridge's Default location.

I don't know the correct paths on Windows but on a Mac you would find them in:
Users Library/Caches/Adobe/Bridge/

I cleaned my Caches out manually when I installed CC 2019 and everything has been both fast and trouble-free since I did that.

In Ps Prefs: go to the Performance Panel and set it appropriately.

My MacBook Pro with 16 GB RAM is set like this:

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 7.00.55 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
With a good amount of memory you can have much more memory for PS, allowing really heavy use - many large images, many layers etc:

upload_2019-2-6_8-45-41.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
With a good amount of memory you can have much more memory for PS, allowing really heavy use - many large images, many layers etc:

View attachment 1631779
I spoke with Puget Computer Systems today. They recommended 4x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 (Currently I have DDR3 1333...And I have 8 RAM slots) They looked at the drawings for my computer and after removing the panel, the RAM sticks should be easy to replace. The new RAM is now on order! wooooHOO!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Sounds good.
I have 32 GB in my MacPro tower: it has proved to be plenty so far.
After I get the new RAM installed, I will get back to the color block anomolies. If I un-install CC2018.....will the s/w also delete the 2018 cache?

If you choose to "keep settings" when uninstalling Bridge, I think that the cache will be retained.

Just make sure that you find and SAVE all your Keywords, Presets and Collections into a different Folder so that you can get them back after re-installing — just incase they get accidentally trashed in the process.

I don't think that it should be necessary to re-install Bridge but I do recommend re-setting the Prefs whenever you install software updates for any application. Sometimes, it helps to reboot the computer at that time as well.

I would start by using the settings and controls in Bridge's Prefs for both Cache and Cache Management. Purging the Cache could be sufficient.

Take another look at the Adobe Help document about Caches to which I linked because it does explain the matter quite well.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
If you choose to "keep settings" when uninstalling Bridge, I think that the cache will be retained.

Just make sure that you find and SAVE all your Keywords, Presets and Collections into a different Folder so that you can get them back after re-installing — just incase they get accidentally trashed in the process.

I don't think that it should be necessary to re-install Bridge but I do recommend re-setting the Prefs whenever you install software updates for any application. Sometimes, it helps to reboot the computer at that time as well.

I would start by using the settings and controls in Bridge's Prefs for both Cache and Cache Management. Purging the Cache could be sufficient.

Take another look at the Adobe Help document about Caches to which I linked because it does explain the matter quite well.
Thanks, Ann.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I spoke with Puget Computer Systems today. They recommended 4x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 (Currently I have DDR3 1333...And I have 8 RAM slots) They looked at the drawings for my computer and after removing the panel, the RAM sticks should be easy to replace. The new RAM is now on order! wooooHOO!
That sounds right. When you install it, please don't just switch the computer off. Pull the plug out.

Why not do as Ann suggested first and first try clearing the Bridge cache. That only takes a moment. Bridge will rebuild its cache as it needs to, it is very quick to do that. Only if that doesn't solve it, then try uninstalling and reinstalling. That should not be necessary and will just confuse things. You might uninstall but not have deleted the cache for example.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
That sounds right. When you install it, please don't just switch the computer off. Pull the plug out.

Why not do as Ann suggested first and first try clearing the Bridge cache. That only takes a moment. Bridge will rebuild its cache as it needs to, it is very quick to do that. Only if that doesn't solve it, then try uninstalling and reinstalling. That should not be necessary and will just confuse things. You might uninstall but not have deleted the cache for example.
Thanks, Richard. I don't intend to un-install PS CC 2019. Only PS CC 2018. I will try clearing cache first. But I don't need both PS CC 2018 AND 2019 taking up space on my 250 GB C: ssd......

Does it matter if I "pull the plug out" of the surge protector strip.....or "pull the plug out" at the back of the CPU...... ???

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Just remove the cable connecting the computer, and its monitor as well, from the power source. You don't want a trickle of power still present.

I thought your problem was with Bridge, not PS?

I am using more than half of my 512GB SSD, and that has none of my own data on it. I could not survive with a little 256GB SSD now. (I do have a lot of software, including several operating systems, on it.) Maybe you should ask Puget to recommend a 512GB SSD and upgrade to that. The prices have come down a lot. I use Samsung SSDs nowadays, I have never had one fail. Suppose you have a problem with PS 2019 and need to run 2018. With it still installed you can switch in seconds.

I suggest that you launch Br CC 2019; check your Prefs. and that you have all of your Keywords and Saved Workspaces etc.
Then Quit out of Br.

Then go to ACC and Uninstall Br CC 2018 from there.

Then find and look in the Caches folder.
Your CC 2019 Cache should be in the Bridge sub-folder called v36.

(Search might help you to locate the right folder.)

Also: Use ACC to uninstall Ps CC 2018.

Last edited:
If Ps seems to be running slowly, it is almost certainly because there is insufficient empty space on that little SSD. I have a 512 GB SSD in my MBP and I feel that it is barely enough.

Latest threads

Top Bottom