1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

what is going on with my new sigma 10-20mm? HELP!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by CH@Dbee, Aug 17, 2008.

1. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    just got the lens the other day and started noticing something on the middle rightside of my photos....

atlskyline4.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 240615

ok so i thought...dirty sensor right? well to make sure i put my 50mm on and now the spot isnt there. i dont know if its in my head or the reflections are playing games with me but i swear i see something floating around under back element.

im still kinda new to this stuff so could somebody please help me and tell what is going on here?

2. Although obvious, try cleaning off the lens if you haven't already. There may be some dirt, grime, or a hair on your front or rear element.

3. Could this just be flare?

4. Try shooting at a clear blue sky or a sheet of white paper to better define the particulate. You might be able to see some contamination holding the lens wide open close to a strong light........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

5. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Dust on the sensor.

Gregory

6. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    i cleaned it twice lol still there.
    no flair on a plain white wall :frown:
    i shot againt a white wall with the 10-20 and it was there, with the 50mm it wasnt
    but its not there when i have my 50mm lens on

7. If it is a new lens, of course I would take it back.

Hold lens up to a light source to see if you can see anything on the glass. Use a magnifying glass to get a closer look.

MikeT

8. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    i believe it's a lot easier to see dust on the sensor at smaller apertures. did you use your 50mm in exactly the same shooting conditions and still see no dust?

9. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    well then i should have seen it better with the 50mm cause it was at like f2

10. Then 10-20mm shots were taken at a very small aperture (f/22). Dust is much more visible at these apertures than at larger ones. Stop your 50mm lens all the way down, and I'll bet you the dust will be visible.

11. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    im going to try that now....

this is with the 10-20

1dust.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

with the 50mm

View attachment 240617

12. You need to do this stopped down, not wide open. The 50mm image is at 1.8. You could have a filthy sensor, and not see a speck of dust at that aperture. You need to stop it all the way down to f/22. The 10-20 image, even wide open still shows the dust, just not at clear.

Edit: In case you're not familiar with the terminology, stopping a lens all the way down means using a large aperture number like f/22. The bigger the number, the smaller the opening, the greater the depth of field. The smaller the number (like 1.8) the bigger the aperture opening, the shallower the depth of field.

13. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    i just tried the same shot with the 50mm @ f10 and its there.

you guys are life savers. now....oh my god...how to i clean my sensor? im scared LOL

14. Can't help ya with sensor cleaning on the D50. There may be a mirror lock up feature in the menu. I think Nikon prefers their consumer grade cameras be sent in for cleaning. Check your owners manual.

15. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    woooot sounds fun!

thank you so much for all the help guys!!!!!

16. Start with the Giottos Rocket. That should take care of nearly all dust blobs. I haven't had one dust particle that didn't go bye-bye when hit with the Rocket.

JohnG

17. CH@Dbee

CH@Dbee

Apr 12, 2008
    Cummimg, Ga.
    thanks alot...i will have to check that out!

18. If the dust has had a chance to sit for a few days, the giotto may not be enough. I know I borrowed a backup camera recently for my last wedding, and it's sensor was pretty dusty. My Giotto Rocket didn't do much at all for it. Had to break out the Arctic butterfly sensor brush to get it almost all the way clean. I didn't want to use any liquid cleaning methods since it wasn't my camera.

19. ajbooker

ajbooker

Mar 17, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    I had the same thing on my D200. Had a dust spot on the sensor and didn't notice due to a lack of shooting, and most stuff was stopped down pretty far. Was there a few weeks it turned out. Ordered a Rocket blower and got rid of the spot just fine.

20. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Welcome to the world of digital photography! Check out the sensor swabs that are available for the D50.. they are expensive but you are hopefully not using them all that often.

A trick that you should follow is to always change lenses with the camera off and pointed down towards the ground/away from blowing wind/sand, etc. Try to put the new lens on quickly so dust can't get in. Turning the camera off is supposed to help by not having the sensor as "charged" up to attract the dust.

If you don't clean the sensor often when you have dust.. you'll be spending a lot of time post processing in your favorite photo editor to remove the spots.

Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.