What is it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Sep 11, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    What's this first pic of? Can you guess?

[​IMG]

Sorry about the watermark - this isn't from my portfolio gallery, hence the watermark:

Just a couple more for ya - they're pretty awful, but oh well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gregory,

I think it is an eye, but I don't know what of. :rolleyes:

Nice shots. :smile:

3. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    hehe... Like that eye on Monsters Inc. :D

Thanks...

Any more guesses?

4. I actually don't know. Is it a siphon of a clam, octopus or similar creature?

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I wish you would stop saying how bad your fish pics are, Greg, because they're 100 times better than most of us her can do. That said, my gues for that 1st pic is that it's a suction cup from a....?. Really cool shot, whatever it is.

6. Is it a breathing or feeding hole of a Mollusc? The "eyelid" looks like some type of capping mechanism.

Without a doubt you are one hell of a photographer of aquarium specimens.

BW.. Bob F.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gregory,

She did a wonderful job. She is getting very good, better watch out. By age
    6 she will have you out of business :>)))

Thank you for sharing.

The polk-a-dotted fish is a new one for me to see. He is really unusual.

8. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Nope...

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, I didn't like them. Especially the last one. Maybe #2, and one I haven't posted here may make it into my gallery if i can get them processed right.

As a member of a reefing forum, I see pics that absolutely blow mine away - every single day. Many of those were shot with digicams too!

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    So close...

11. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    "She?" You mean Ximina? She didn't take these photos - I did. :eek: Told ya they're bad! :biggrin:

That's a Panther Grouper - it can grow up to 30"

12. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for sharing. So these aweful pictures are yours, and you are hiding behind a covername?

Well, at least you made me decide where to spend my 2 days vacation I got from my wife and kids - at the Red Sea doing some reef snorkeling.

Got any ideas where to find an underwater enclosure for the D70+lens+SB800?

13. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Hi Heiko - how come everyone thinks Ximina took these? I didn't think I said she took them. It's not my character to say she did something she didn't or whatever.

Anyways, I've never been diving - but I've head ikelite housings consistently receive high praise by divers and produce spectacular results. I highly recommend them. But of course, like any dive equipment - it's expensive, often costing more than the camera body itself.

EDIT: You won't want to use the SB800 in a dive - it's nowhere near powerful enough. Get a dive strobe instead - it will connect externally to the housing.

14. Lex Talionis

Lex Talionis Guest

Looks like an eye of some kind of Ray; maybe a Sting Ray?

15. Hi Gregory,

Ximina is at it again hmmm. Don't have a clue on the ID of the first image but do like them all. She is getting to be quite the photographer.

16. Greg,
    The Markings on the photos are what is leading people to believe she took them. they are great, by the way.

17. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Definitely an eye of a ray of some sort. Looks like a blue spotted.

18. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    You got it... A blue spotted ray:

[​IMG]

19. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Ximina didn't take these photos - I did. :frown:

20. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Ah, the watermark... Yeah, my studio name - I named it before Ximina got interested in photography. I guess her reputation precedes her and she's got more name recognition than me and she's only been on the planet for 3 years! Not bad, eh? I'm quite flattered that people think Ximina took these though.