What is minimalism? with a few attempts...

What is minimalism as applied to Photography?

“Minimalism is a house that will fall if any element is removed” –Georgie Beagle, PD

The minimalist movement has its origins in New York of the 1960’s where the artists of the day were looking to abstract their work to the simplest form. But minimalism goes back further to the cubists and later, to the works of the Bauhaus school in pre-war Germany. So it really is a movement of the 20th century, although the 1960’s New York scene was perhaps where minimalism became an -ism

In photography minimalism has left its mark too. While there are numerous examples of late 20th century minimalism and some very successful practitioners of minimalist photography, I think the most influential minimalist photographer was Edward Weston. Weston’s photographs of shells and green peppers truly define minimalism in photography.

So with this in mind I have been working on minimalism in my photography, that is, to make a photograph which would fail if one element were removed. Below are a few of my attempts.

Comments and criticism is welcome and please, post your photos of minimalism here too.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. Cattail

2. a salt marsh

3. on a snowy pond

4. Beagle

Thanks for looking, and I look forward to your minimalist photos.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"people say "I See" because that is their primary sense, while beagles say "I smell" because sent is ours" - Georgie Beagle

My understanding and interpretation of minimalism is constantly changing (probably due to the minimal formal knowledge I have of it!) but right now I think of it as either a very simple picture, with very little extraneous content, or an almost "abstract" picture that shows very little of a object/setting/scene/person but yet manages to convey an appreciation of the whole. Regardless, here are some of my offerings:

1. George, male dogs would love this one :rolleyes:

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Real Name
Ken St John
I guess I'm a fan of "minimalism" in photos, because all of these so far are wonderful!!

My main library is "off line" due to a little home improvement operation in my office, but here's a couple that were in my "Wallpapers" folder that I think may qualify ...

Cheers!!

Ken

Excellent examples here, folks.

In Namibia, getting minimalist photos is a piece of cake.

A few from the archives:

1. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Well, let me try...

Kind regards
Klaus

Wow! This thread is off to such a great start! I'll get back later with some photos.

Though I thoroughly enjoy minimalism in photography, I deplore it in classical music. I wonder what Georgie Beagle has to say about that.
Hi all,

What great minimalist photos we have here. Nick, I really love your farm shot #2 I think the repetitive lines of the harvest simplify the photo and draw the eye to the tractor, truly a minimal photo. Yes, Georgie did appreciate the fire hydrant. The color becomes a focus and the overall greys of the photo the counterpoint.

Jim, the Namibia shots do capture the minimalist feel.

I love minimalism in photography, in art I think perhaps they took it a bit too far in the '60's but that is a personal opinion.

In music hmmmm. I am not so sure it works, I think the wonderful complexity of a Bach fugue or a symphony by Mozart is what makes it work for me. But, lets ask the beagle...

"Minimalism in music is a counterpoint to that of the complexity of the classical works that have come before. Philip Glass has really lead this movement but for me the ultimate in minimalism in music is John Cage's 4'33" I like to put this work on repeat when I want to sleep...." - Georgie
Beagle

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"why is it that somebody always coughs during a performance of Cage's 4'33"? " - Georgie Beagle

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom