What is really wrong with the Nikon Cafe.........?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retief, May 12, 2005.

1. Well, some smart-a souls might say "nothing", but I don't agree at all. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with this place, and it is really bugging me, which is why I started this thread.

Way too danged many friendly souls who post way too danged many interesting threads and way too danged many great images.

I just can't keep up, and I feel remiss not commenting on some, and knowing I miss others.

So, I lay the blame on every single last wonderful one of you who are here, except for me of course, for making my life so darned difficult. If days were 96 hours long, and I could actually stay awake that long, I still wouldn't have enough time to keep track of it.

Because I feel so badly about this, consider this my public "I'm Sorry" to all of you I haven't said hello to, to all the great threads I haven't replied to, to all the superb images that I have missed.

Ah, I feel so much better now, thank you very much.

So, what do YOU think is "Wrong" with this place anyway? And, of course, in keeping with this it MUST be totally serious, as is mine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. Like you Bill, I am overwhelmed. I used to be one of the most prolific posters on this forum and managed to comment on almost every image. This is a great group for sure and their images are wonderful but I just can't keep up and still take and process images. Oh well, we try.

3. First let me say that I understand. While I am new here I feel the is a good mix of people skill wise. Many with more knowledge then myself and a few with less. I do like to open atmosphere and the willingness of people to share and be friendly. So many forums on the net lack this.

However you want to know what is wrong. I think some way to limit the forum index to topics of interest would be helpful. I know I can just ignore the topics I don't look at, but it just a thought. If that list of "preferred forums" could then be applied to the "posts since last visit" it would be much better. Lastly, if you reenter a thread it should take you to where you left off not at the beginning again. Just food for thought. These are all technical issues for the software and may even be possible. :roll:

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. The recent membership explosion is just on paper.

Out of our 650 members, only 70 have made more than 100 posts.

Only 164 have made the 25 posts that qualify them to participate in the For Sale forum.

380 have made fewer than 5 posts. That includes 240 who signed up have never posted at all.

We just have a huge community of lurkers.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Count me as one of the lurkers.. But that will change..

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey bird, you're counted. ;)

Now hie on over to the New Member forum and introduce your (formerly) lurking self! :) :) :shock: :) :)

(Oh, and welcome to the cafe!)

8. You're exactly right! Whenever I get feeling too laid-back I mosey on over to some former Nikon places......then I'm fully depressed again! :D :(

Rich

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I have posted more here in the short time I've been a member than on any other board I've been to. So something about this board makes me feel comfortable.

11. Thanks for the feedback, Rex! I'm glad you feel that way 8). Our small group of moderators is working hard to make sure you continue to feel comfortable here.

12. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Hey, when are you guys going to get around to taking my coffee order, I've been wait around here for a long time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. Cappuccino OK?

14. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    That is service, you rock :)

15. Where's the biscotti?

16. Todd:
    You made my morning with this crack....
    well done

17. d70john

d70john Guest

this is just my two cents worth,i think that this site is pretty good just the way it is,i've been looking around and i will say that on other sites i may have asked a question and people would jump all over me like i'm supposed to know everything about photography. i don't see that going on here which is good so far, i see there are a great bunch of people with different levels of skill and don't mind helping others get better at taking them to the next level. keep up the good work people

18. John:
    No one expects you to know anything about photography.... as none of us really does.
    So on this site you can ask any question you want as we are all in the same boat.
    Heck we even put up with Bill... Mind you the site fathers tell me that this is only happening so they can retain their status as a "Charitable Site"
    :lol: :lol:

19. I agree with Rex. I have posted here more than other places because this is such a comfortable place to be. Thanks to the moderators and members!

Brian

20. chrisb

chrisb

May 8, 2005
    NY
    You can count me too. New here and have posted more than a year of lurking on DPR.

Feels kinda like the "Cheers" of the internet.