What is sorghum???

Yesterday I took the kids to the Huntsville Botanical Garden with my mom, my little sister and Patrick's mom. While we were there, we got to go through the "sorghum maze"....just like a corn maze, but in a sorghum field instead of a corn field. I'd never seen actual sorghum cane before and I thought it was actually rather beautiful...It is the 3rd largest grain crop grown in the U.S. It is grown for the stalk or cane which is pressed for it's juice and then heated in pans until it thickens to a syrup. It is high in iron, calcium and potassium. For those interested in more info about sorghum...here is a website... http://www.ca.uky.edu/nssppa/sorghumfaqs.html

39760049-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

39760052-L.jpg

And just because I think daisies are nice....

39760051-L.jpg

D

dbirdsong

Sorghum is one of my most missed things since being diabetic 2 years ago.. :mad:

My dad being from the south ate it all the time on biscuits and each of his children learned to love it too.
Now for those that have never hand it, mix some butter and sorghum together and slap it on a hot biscuit.. YUM!!
Man, I might have to cheat tonight and make some biscuits and get that jar of sorghum out of the pantry.. (My kids think that I don't know that they have it in there.. but I do!!)
:biggrin:

That is a pretty plant to, never seen it before..

dbirdsong said:
Sorghum is one of my most missed things since being diabetic 2 years ago.. :mad:

My dad being from the south ate it all the time on biscuits and each of his children learned to love it too.
Now for those that have never hand it, mix some butter and sorghum together and slap it on a hot biscuit.. YUM!!
Man, I might have to cheat tonight and make some biscuits and get that jar of sorghum out of the pantry.. (My kids think that I don't know that they have it in there.. but I do!!)
:biggrin:

That is a pretty plant to, never seen it before..

Leigh,
Very nice pics and you and dbirdsong certainly brought back fond memories from my childhood when he mentioned mixing sorghum and butter and slapping it on a hot biscuit! Was raised by an uncle who was originally from Jemison, Alabama, and he really loved his sorghum!! Yup, I liked it too but haven't had any in ca. couple of decades (geez, time sure does fly!).

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have any Alabama sorghum syrup, but Amazon.com does list a few:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.htm...x=gourmet&node=3580501&keywords=sorghum syrup

There used to be a syrup mill about a quarter of a mile from my grandmother's house and we would go by in the fall and buy a couple of quarts and get a few pieces of cane to chew on. Sorghum cane is softer and stringier than the sugar cane you get in the produce section of the supermarket. There used to be dozens of these places around Sand Mountain in North Alabama, but I haven't seen one in years (although I'm sure there are a few still operating). The one near my grandmother's place was located where the local Wal-Mart is now :Depressed Anyone have any pictures? I remember one mule powered mill, but most of them ran off a diesel engine.

Thanks everyone...I too remember eating biscuits hot from the oven w/sorghum mixed with butter...That and drinking coffee with milk with my Grandaddy. Yummy!

Here's a recipe for Sorghum Gingerbread. (if you can't find sorghum, substitue w/molasses, though it's not "exactly" the same, it will still be delicious).

Sorghum Gingerbread

INGREDIENTS:
·1/4 cup vegetable shortening
·1/4 cup butter
·1 cup hot water
·1 cup sorghum or regular molasses
·3/4 cup sugar
·1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
·1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
·1/2 teaspoon salt
·2 teaspoons baking soda
·2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
·2 large eggs, well beaten

PREPARATION:
In a saucepan combine the shortening, butter, water, molasses, sugar, ginger, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil, stir, then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together.
Add cooled molasses and sugar mixture; stir until well blended. Stir in well-beaten eggs.
Pour into a generously greased and floured 9-x12-inch baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 25 to 35 minutes.
Makes 1 pan of gingerbread. Serve warm or cooled, with whipped cream or dessert sauce.

K

Ken-L

Love that sorghum!

Whenever we have the chance we eat at a Lambert's Cafe (Home of "throwed rolls") in Missouri. A server walks around with a big tray of hot biscuits and when you signal he throws one across the room to you (you better be a good catcher) and then they give you a big dollop of sorghum molasses and honey to eat with it!

There's one south of Springield (in Ozark), and the original is in Sikeston, Missouri (also a new one in Foley, Alabama). Anyone traveling near there should try it, huge portions, family style, and you may have to wait up to 2 hours at peak periods to get a seat, but it is well worth it!

http://www.throwedrolls.com/

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Leigh, as usual very beatiful photos. Never tasted or seen sorghum before, but just reading your recipe made my mouth watered.

Phil K said:
Leigh, as usual very beatiful photos. Never tasted or seen sorghum before, but just reading your recipe made my mouth watered.

Thanks Phil...I appreciate your looking. You should try the recipe, it is definitely worth trying (even if you should have to use molasses).

Latest threads

Top Bottom