What is the best way to learn CS4?

I have Photoshop CS4, but due to my real job, kids, part time job, etc., I've not been able to learn to use it.

Let's just say I'm a novice at Photoshop and want to learn from the ground up.

I've been looking at www.kelbytraining.com and want to know if there is a better way to learn this system.

Whatever it is, I'd like to get started ASAP because there is a Kelby Training Live! workshop coming to Arlington, Texas this month on the 21st that I'd like to go to.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

I joined Kelbytraining several months ago and have made up for more than the yearly fee in the knowledge I've gained.. I like it because they not only cover CS4 but photography and several other Adobe products as well. If you don't want to spend the money for the yearly fee, you can also do it class by class. You can also check out lynda.com, they have similar training. Other than that you can get several good books on CS4 and work thru them. I have done that as well but find the videos much easier to learn from.

videos and / or classes...it's really a function of how much effort you put into it

I have tried both KelbyTraining.com and Linda.com. They are both good but I like the user interface on Linda.com the best. Start with the monthly fee version as you can take all the courses you can cram in for that one time fee.

I have tried both KelbyTraining.com and Linda.com. They are both good but I like the user interface on Linda.com the best. Start with the monthly fee version as you can take all the courses you can cram in for that one time fee.

Thanks for the apples to apples comparison. I got the impression from poking around the Kelby site that it is more geared towards to Mac users. Is Lynda.com PC friendly?

Yes -- I am a PC guy and have been quite happy with Lynda.com and their interface - no problems -- and -- they even will send you an email when brand new lessons are posted on their site -- cool

I used the free tutorials you can find by googling it, there are a LOT. I did break down and buy the ebook by Mark Johnson and have to say wow it's really good too (and it comes with a very cool sharpening action that I love)

I have Photoshop CS4, but due to my real job, kids, part time job, etc., I've not been able to learn to use it.

Let's just say I'm a novice at Photoshop and want to learn from the ground up.

Matt,

Greetings. I'd try a bunch of things... books, videos, training, etc. as time permits and depending on what works for you. One thing to keep in mind about PS is that there are many ways to do things and there are many orders the steps might take. That is to say that there is no one right way to do things. Experimentation is good (just be sure you have a copy of the original :wink: ).

It's much like cooking... lots of different ways to fry an egg.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

Join NAPP!

There is a wealth of resources (tutorials, members only helpdesk, PhotoshopUser Magazine & more) available to NAPP members, as well as discounts on software, hardware, books, DVD's, and KelbyTraining.com.

Scott Kelby is the President of NAPP.

Use the link in my signature if you find you do want to join :cool:

I was self taught in Photoshop since version 5, I spent long hours playing with every function and honestly it took be a few years to even get the hang of things.

Later on I took a class on photoshop and in literally 3 months I probably outpaced and learned new things.

Now I learn everything new from forums, photoshop mags, and even photography magazines have photoshop snippets here and there.

The quick and dirty, you can go to Youtube and look at instructionals while referencing any photoshop beginners guide.

I've been using PS since its early versions (now into CS4) and used all the manuals, after market books and CD/DVD tutorials. If you need to get up to speed quickly and want accurate information then the Kelby or Lynda sites are a good way to go because you can always pop the DVD back in in case you forget some specific technique. I don't care for the traveling roadshows because that primarily depends on your notes and memory of what was taught. Here are some other sources I have found very helpful in learning this complex software.

VTC.com offers in-depth DVD tutorials at a reasonable price.

A good monthly publication is Photoshop User, this magazine is only available if you join the National Association of Photoshop Professionals. A top-notch publication loaded with Photoshop and Lightroom information, tutorials and reviews.

Thanks for the apples to apples comparison. I got the impression from poking around the Kelby site that it is more geared towards to Mac users. Is Lynda.com PC friendly?

Yes it is and one of the things I like is that if I am interutpted in doing the lessons I can stop and when I sign back on it will take me to where I left off. It used to bug me that KelbyTraining.com does not do that and you have to remember who the trainer was and what lesson you were on and then find your way back there.

Guest-004

The easiest for me was joining NAPP and Kelby Training. Sure they cost money but it saves a lot of time searching google for the free tutorials.

I would personally recommend getting Kelby's book and reading through it, even if not thoroughly, before signing up for one of these pay sights. It will just give you more of a head start.

Go to Texas School next year...it will be in Arlington. The class is 5 1/2 days long. The cost is about $500.00...but it's worth every penny. You can't learn photoshop in one day. The software is a little intense...it's why you need several days for it to sink in. Let me know and I'll throw you a link.

Matt

Latest threads

Top Bottom