What is the buffer in DX mode for a Z7 and Z6

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Shooting RAW in either 14 bit lossless compressed or 12 bit lossless compressed? I haven't been able to find that info.

Since you see the whole size image in the viewfinder when you are in crop mode this could be a compelling option for me as a birder....

Thanks all

Haven't found a DX figure, but here is Nikon's data:
https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z7_z6/en/14_technical_notes_10.html

and Thom Hogan interpretation:

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 13.40.22.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Regardless of the JPG crop the RAW file is always saved as full frame - either as 12/14bit compressed/uncompressed.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
The point is a smaller file size, so it is on the D850 I believe, when you are a birder and crop away to a DX file size anyway it could a good idea to use the DX file size and not the FX file size and save space while beeing able to see the whole filled screen in the EVF unlike the D850 where you just see a smaller DX frame in the Optical viewfinder.

I'm confused. If you're shooting raw files, what's the point then of shooting in the DX mode?

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I just tried this on my D850 with a fast Sony XQD card
  • There is a distinct difference in file size between FX RAW at 46 mp and DX RAW about 21 MP.
  • The buffer is different as well in my simple test, but confusing, FX RAW had a buffer of 69 and DX had 45, I'm confused.....:
So there should be a difference on a Z7 or Z6 as well in buffer, would someone who has a Z7 or Z6 please test this for me? FX and DX RAW. I shot at 9fps on my D850 BTW

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
[makes sense to me that the DX raw buffer would be smaller if the raw file is saved different than the FX. The camera would need to downsample the FX raw to DX size, so takes longer to process. FX would be just straight dump the raw data to the card.

Last edited:
Interesting:

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/d850/en/19_technical_notes_13.html

And Thom Hogan's take on it:

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 08.20.30.jpg

"The D850 never reports more than 99 images available in the buffer under any circumstance, but if you set up the camera to shoot a series of images in Continuous High shooting method, you’ll note that—especially for the JPEG sizes—the buffer remaining indicator doesn’t necessarily seem to count down with each image you shoot. After shooting 5 images continuously, for example, my buffer remaining count had only dropped by 1 image.
Thus, the camera always reports the actual physical number of images that it knows it can still store, while the table in the manual reports the number of images that you can still shoot before the buffer hits zero. Yeah, that’s tough to wrap your mind around at first. Basically the camera always reports a conservative number: you usually get far more images in a burst than the camera suggests via the R indicator (though not always)."

I don’t know about D850.

Edit for Z7, Nikon manuals are rubbish.

In camera shooting menu, based on actual observation.

1-Choose image area: FX, DX, 5:4, 1:1, 16:9
2-Choose image quality: various JPG options with NEF or standalone NEF
3-Choose image size: select large/normal/small for both JPG/TIFF and separately for NEF
4-Choose NEF recording: compressed or uncompressed and 14 or 12-bit

I made a little experiment, chose 1:1 image area, NEF standalone and large file. Resulting NEF file is square which was large or 5504 x 5504 pixels. So it seems the camera will record both NEF and JPG based on chosen parameters listed 1 to 4.

Last edited:
Here are 3 images, with EXIF from my Z6. They are, in order, FX, DX and 16:9.

1. FX

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 14.09.25.jpg

2. DX

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 14.09.10.jpg

3. 16:9

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 14.09.38.jpg

Real Name
It realy is Steven Roy. Did you think I was lying?
The buffer with DX images, is functionally limitless.
On my Z6, with 14bit uncompressed raw DX files (largest DX file size); The physical shutter would simply hard stop at 100 actuations (not sure why). Then I tried the silent shutter, and it let me go over 1000 before I decided to quit. The buffer indicator got down to r06, and wouldn't go any lower.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Thank. You! Now this interesting, now can anyone try on a z7?
The buffer with DX images, is functionally limitless.
On my Z6, with 14bit uncompressed raw DX files (largest DX file size); The physical shutter would simply hard stop at 100 actuations (not sure why). Then I tried the silent shutter, and it let me go over 1000 before I decided to quit. The buffer indicator got down to r06, and wouldn't go any lower.
You

Real Name
Chris
Thank. You! Now this interesting, now can anyone try on a z7?

Buffer Depth in DX Z7
5 FPS @ 14 uncompressed= 113 frames

5 FPS @ 14 bit lossless compressed= 108 frames

5FPS @ 12 Bit Uncompressed= 205 full speed frames but Unlimited with slight delay - buffer writes nearly as fast as you take the shot

High speed continues @ 14 uncompressed= 23 shots

High @ 14 uncompressed = 68 shots

I didn’t brother testing anymore combos as I figured this provided what you were looking for

Latest threads

Top Bottom