What is the magic about the 85mm f/1.4?!!

Discussion in 'People' started by gilbert, Dec 7, 2005.

1. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    Although I love the flexibility of the 28-70mm f/2.8 and the focal length and weight of the 50mm f/1.4, whenever I shoot with the 85mm f/1.4, the images have 'something' that make them magical that my other lenses just don't have. I can't put my finger on it, but it is definitely there. It's not just the sharpness, bokeh, or contrast, but some overall organic quality to the images from this lens. Anyone else have the same feeling about this lens?

Anyways, here are a few of my 20 month old daughter. Enjoy!

#1 D70, 85mm f/1.4 @f1.4

#2 D70, 85mm f/1.4 @f/2.2
    View attachment 20649

#3 D70, 85mm f/1.4 @f/2
    View attachment 20650

2. Well your daughter is darling but I don't think we can attribute that to the lens. Excellent images.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Adorable pictures of a darling little girl; I especially like the first one: the warmth, the back-lighting, and the DOF.

To me there's something almost 3-D like about pictures taken with the 85 1.4.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama

I was thinking that exact same thing! That first image is magical and it has everything to do w/the darling little face! Oh how I could just hug and squeeze that sweet little girl!...Again, you people aren't helping me out any....I've got baby fever and you are all just adding fuel to the fire!

Seriously though, wonderful photos!!!

5. What a cutie! I love the looks on her face, inquisitive, trusting, curious. Watch out, Dad, she's studying everything you do!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Don"t about magic of 85mm f/1.4 but your daughter is cute&first shot with backlighting is excellent.

7. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    Thanks, Gordon. She's already got me wrapped around her little finger. :smile:

Jeff, Rathika: I saw the lighting and just HAD to shoot some with the backlight. I wish I had taken some more.

Leigh: They are absolutely adorable at this age (between 1 and 2). Thanks for the complements.

Virginia: Thanks. She IS studying everything I do: the other day I saw her at the bathroom counter with an empty contact lens case, poking her eye with her finger! :tongue:

8. Great job, Gilbert!

Not the lens.... the kid!

All right, the lens is OK, too :smile:.

9. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    Thanks, UF. I'm looking forward to seeing your good work with yours.

10. I need a model. Can I borrow your daughter? If not, I'll be forced to shoot mugs like these :Unsure:.

View attachment 20652

View attachment 20653

11. I agree completely. That was my favorite Nikon lens by far. When I moved to Canon I got the 85 1.8 but the 1.2 kept calling my name and I couldn't resist. I feel that magic again. Something about 85mm with big chunky glass.

PS - your daughter is adorable. Lovely shots.

12. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Lovely daughter!

Your little girl is a true darling. She'll really appreciate the photos you take of her when she's a little older! Lovely shots!
    The 85mm 1.4 is on my wish list, and will be my next lens purchase for sure.
    Regards,
    Robert

13. The first image of your daughter is superb. The rest are okay, but, the first one stands out.

14. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Great shots!
    I'd say the first is my favorite, but all are very good!
    Thanks for sharing them.
    It is of particular interest to me that a 85 f/1.4 was used, because I just purchased one myself. Although I doubt I can ever top those shots of yours.