What is the sound of a D500/TC-14E-III/300mmf4PF/MB-D17 as it falls ..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retief, Aug 6, 2017.

1. into the water at the Neah Bay Marina? Well, starts with a very satisfying "Plop", then "Splash", followed by a chorus of gasps, a lucky stoppage just prior to the "Oh S..." coming out, followed by "Boy am I glad it is insured!"

Yup, the end of a trip yesterday, climbing off the boat, camera attached to a Black Rapid Yeti strap via Arca Swiss. No clue how it dropped, was using an Acratch Lever Release that was not released, once the camera was retrieved no breakage on the lens plate. The only thing I can figure is that I, due to I don't know what, did not get the thing attached well. Strange as I had been carrying it around the boat for a long time with no issue.

Now figured out how to add safety straps that don't get in the way when I shoot.

One of them "annoying" things for sure.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Just in time for the D850:rolleyes:

Oh s--t is right.

3. Ouch!

We will all be grieving for your loss.... Hope you get it all back together soon Bill.

4. Bill, I'm at a lose as to what to say. These happenings are only supposed to be in nightmares not in real life. Well thankfully you are insured, but still what a sobering moment to live through. Were you able to retrieve the camera? But even if you were salt water doesn't mix well with electronics and working mechanisms.
    Sorry for your lost Bill.

5. bmell

bmell

Feb 11, 2009
    Nebraska
    I've had equipment stolen over the years. I've also said if I sacrifice a camera in the heat of battle, I wouldn't be upset. Camera gear is meant o be used, not placed in a museum. That being said, it still has to sting a bit!

Sorry this had to happen.

6. Man Bill! That really stinks. Sorry to hear it. I guess you can try to feel better by imagining how sweet the new one will be...

7. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    That is one horrible moment, I feel your pain (well not as much as you do but I'm sure you know what I mean).
    On the plus side, it's another reply to those who say they would never hang expensive gear on a cheap strap ... accidents happen even with the most expensive straps. :(

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    YIKES! So sorry! Cautionary tale for us all......we can never be tooooo careful!

9. About the same sound as a 24-70 rolling off the bed onto the hardwood floor in my bedroom.

10. Sorry to hear of your loss, Bill.

11. I appreciate the kind replies, so far I have been the only one to call me a "stupid, .... (you fill in the rest)".

Should hear from the adjuster today, I pick up the recovered images this afternoon, watch the Contraptions thread for pictures of my "safety stray" solution.

Gonzo, slightly different sound, I never heard the "thunk" of it hitting something hard :ROFLMAO: That might have been repairable, this one, heck, I couldn't believe how corroded the battery contacts on both the battery itself and the camera got so quickly.

I have a couple of reasons for posting this thread.

The first, off course, is to generate copious amounts of sympathy to soothe my psyche. Perhaps that will translate into someone who will set up a Go Fund Me page to make me rich ;)

The second is to point out that sometimes things happen, that are not a failure of our equipment, but a failure in our process, certainly in this case.

The third is to perhaps give some of you a chuckle at my expense, in the end I must have looked pretty funny when it happened.

Lastly to say "insure your stuff", you never know when something may happen.

12. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    I can't imagine anyone thinking that was funny! :eek:

13. Roger, I suspect that a few of them thought I looked pretty funny, but were far too polite to laugh at my expense. This is one case I actually wish I had a selfie, I'd love to see what I looked like.

Now, if I wasn't well insured my attitude might be just a bit different ...

14. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    For sure :)

15. Thats awful Bill, I feel for you.

16. It's gotta be old age:)

17. (y)(y)(y)

18. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Wow, that sucks! Glad to hear it was insured!!!

I've had a couple of repairs caused by dogs. Once, my dog plowed into me, got her leg caught in my camera strap, and smashed my camera to the ground lens first. 2.8 80-200 lens first. Ouch. And I had a dog bite one of my lenses once.

Here's some perspective for you. :)
    When a 200mph Parachute meets a Camera the Camera Loses

I hope your replacements arrive soon!