What is this catfish doing??

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Vienna Pics, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    I was at Kenilworth Aquatic gardens last weekend and watched, what I believe is a catfish, at the top of water, ‘gulping’ air. He just had his mouth out – his body was not visible. His head must have been at least as big as my fist. My question is: what was he doing? He continued doing this for quite some time and another one was doing it also. Here are few shots:

2. Hi Mark,

I'm almost certain that the catfish is having a meal. Probably small bugs or fishfood on the surface.

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Keyrect! My neighbor takes great delight in putting on catfish shows for visitors. He throws a couple of pounds of food (looks like dog or cat food) out on his pond and the catfish converge from every direction. They just cruise back and forth with open mouths scooping up whatever they can get.
  4. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    OK - must be small bugs as they are not feed - Thanks.

Thank you - we have been to trout farms - when you feed them they come up and take the food FAST!
  5. There are some diseases than can cause catfish of many species to gulp air and they will also do it if the water isn't properly oxygenated.
  6. Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Correct Mike, Carp can also "breath" in this manner.
  7. Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Gulping air. It was probably a warm day with a lack of oxygen in the water.

Best regards
  8. paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    On a small pond on our farm it has "turned over" three times in the past 10 years. Just prior to "turning over" the fish can be seen gulping for air. I think this is caused by a lack of oxygen in the water.
  9. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Thanks guys - not sure if there was a lack of ozygen or if they were trying to feed. I tried to find a park ranger to ask but of course none to be found when you were looking for one.