What is this lens worth

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by shipsaeki, Sep 3, 2008.

1. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone here has any info on this lens? How much should I pay for it, how is the quality, and how old is it?

Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO
    7d92_1.jpg

View attachment 247201

Judging by the look of it, it looks to be an older lens. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :wink:

2. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    ^thanks, but that link you provided shows the newer version of the lens. I don't think this lens is near 700

3. Oh, you're right! I saw that it hadn't been touched since '04. Didn't realize that one was even older.

I'll see what I can find.

4. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    ^ Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it!

5. I have had the 77mm version of this lens in both a Sigma mount and Nikon mount. The picture shows the 72mm thread version, which is not supposed to be near the quality of the 77mm version with the Zen finish.

I do not think this version is worth more than $150 in excellent condition. In any less condition, deduct.

mike

6. Sigma made 3 (maybe 4) versions of this lens. The best of the group is the APO 400/5.6 Telemacro. Your sample is one of the other versions and I hear the IQ is not as good as the Telemacro version. I can't comment further except to say that a few people report very satisfying results with at least one of the earlier versions. I would not be willing to risk more than a few hundred dollars on it.

My suggestion is be patient and wait for the APO AF 400.5.6 Telemacro (77mm filter ring) to come along. They don't surface often but I do see them on KEH from time to time.