1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What is this???

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by ShaunK, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Found these "things"/caterpillars all over my wife's new passion flower vine. They almost ate the poor thing up in less than a week. Yes, it's dead (sorry) but I didn't want it eating up my new plant!!! Never seen one before, although they are very interesting! Very pretty, actually! There were about 1.5 dozen on the plant by the time I noticed them. What is it? Help? Thanks!!!

2654291372_19b94116aa_o.

View attachment 216209

View attachment 216210

View attachment 216212

And an upside down shot for good measure! :tongue:
    View attachment 216213

2. Californian passion flower bugs (Coitus californicus)?

Just kidding--great pics though!

3. Nice try!!! :wink: Thanks for looking, though.

4. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Nice macros

5. Thanks! Still want to know what it is! :smile:

6. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    I have not idea what it is but I think your photos are great.

7. Thanks! I decided to not be so lazy... it is the larvae of the Gulf Fritillary butterfly... feeds exclusively on this plant, and from the damage they did on mine in such a short time, they are very "passionate" about the passion vine!!! :biggrin:

8. petpoor

petpoor

Jun 29, 2006
    Ar
    Very nice shots, wish I could get my macros to look that good. Cool avatar pic you got there also :wink:

Tom

9. Thanks! I used my light kit for these, two flashes, one through an umbrella. I also am really liking ACR for my RAWs, with a final little tweak in PSCS3. My buddy used to breed/keep green trees (if that's what your avatar is, I can never quite tell between those and the other pythons!!!) :smile:

10. Yup, that's what I found, too. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.