What is this???

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by ShaunK, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Found these "things"/caterpillars all over my wife's new passion flower vine. They almost ate the poor thing up in less than a week. Yes, it's dead (sorry) but I didn't want it eating up my new plant!!! Never seen one before, although they are very interesting! Very pretty, actually! There were about 1.5 dozen on the plant by the time I noticed them. What is it? Help? Thanks!!!

2654291372_19b94116aa_o.png

View attachment 216209

View attachment 216210

View attachment 216212

And an upside down shot for good measure! :tongue:
    View attachment 216213

2. Californian passion flower bugs (Coitus californicus)?

Just kidding--great pics though!

3. Nice try!!! :wink: Thanks for looking, though.

4. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Nice macros

5. Thanks! Still want to know what it is! :smile:

6. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    I have not idea what it is but I think your photos are great.

7. Thanks! I decided to not be so lazy... it is the larvae of the Gulf Fritillary butterfly... feeds exclusively on this plant, and from the damage they did on mine in such a short time, they are very "passionate" about the passion vine!!! :biggrin:

8. petpoor

petpoor

Jun 29, 2006
    Ar
    Very nice shots, wish I could get my macros to look that good. Cool avatar pic you got there also :wink:

Tom

9. Thanks! I used my light kit for these, two flashes, one through an umbrella. I also am really liking ACR for my RAWs, with a final little tweak in PSCS3. My buddy used to breed/keep green trees (if that's what your avatar is, I can never quite tell between those and the other pythons!!!) :smile:

10. Yup, that's what I found, too. Thanks!