What is this ?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Steinar, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Please help me with those vertical lines - in the right of the picture - never seen this before ??

Who can tell ?

--

Nikon 14-24 at 14mm F. 5.6. Shutter: 1/800 sec. ISO 200

2819127794_49623eb87c_b.png

----------------

And the crop:

View attachment 246811

2. something smeared on the sensor???:confused:

3. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you Nick, but I do not think so - with the same lens I shot this LATER:

2812660986_4fa70ee6e1_b.png

and this before:

2811802911_c40754bb90_b.png

and this later again:

View attachment 246814

4. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Maybe this crop is better ?

2818412687_dde44147dc_o.png

5. it almost looks like you rotated the right side of the camera UP as you depressed the shutter
    yes, i know you shot at 1/800

still.... a
    weird finding
    wouldn't make ANYTHING of it... if it doesn't happen again

6. I have no clue....did you change lenses? Could it be somthing on the front or back element?

7. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    Red boat is not stetched or something.
    Just nature patterns, water mirrors etc.

8. JCole

JCole Guest

Just looking at this photo I think your seeing reflections of the reeds or grass on a smooth water surface.

9. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Corner distortion would be my guess, and it's accentuated by the trees reflecting in the water. You should stop worrying and enjoy your shooting, Steinar :wink:

10. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you all - yes, Sonya, I was changing lenses - just change from 85 mm f/1.4 and back again to 14-24.

Yes, Greg it looks like so, but 1/800, no.

Jeff and Orfeas... yes... and no;) it looks to weird to be that, I think, but not sure, because there is a lot of mirroring.

A lot of suggestions - Phillip, that is the same I thought myself in the first place, but then I did not came up again, even I was shooting the whole day at 14mm, because I wanted to learn this focal lenght.

We will see, if it turns up again.

Thank you again.

I am not worrying so much, because it did not show up again, even I shot a lot with that lens that day, but I was very curious, because it looks so funny, and I did not see it before I sat with the pc.

11. Reflections is my guess.

Gene

12. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I really don't think it's corner distortion with this lens at 5.6.
    Did you turn the camera off while switching the lenses? Were there any UFOs present!?
    I'm betting it was some sort of electrical issue that resolved itself -static discharge across the sensor, perhaps?

OOOH - maybe the sensor recorded part of it's vibrating clean cycle??

13. Now we're talking!!!!! :eek::biggrin: Maybe that rare Scandinavian phenomena "Aurora Aquatarious" :biggrin:

14. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    :biggrin:

15. i don't see anything wrong with the images? if your looking at the streaking of the reflections on the water, thats just how things look when they are reflected in rippling water.

16. Steinar,

If you cover the water, the trees and reeds look normal. What you are seeing is the reflection in the water that gives the illusion that the stripes carry up into the trees.

Mike

17. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Thank you, Joe and Mike - maybe that is, but it is not a picture I would come with as an assignment-job. Perhaps it is mixed by the distortion.

Thank you again.

18. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Yes, I think you and Mike are right. I must admit that it looked like a defect of some kind.