1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What Is This?

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Gramps, Sep 14, 2008.

1. This lizard like creature sat down next to my wife while we were in Jamestown Historic National Park in Williamsburg VA. I am captivated by the three distinct sets of color on it's body

2856443630_4da5fbbf9c_b.

Les

2. Mark, thank you for the ID and the reference. They may be one of the most common lizards in North America but I have never seen one in New Jersey.

Thanks,

Les

3. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Les, I've grabbed lots of lizards, frogs, and snakes to put them in some more photogenic place nearby (and I always attempt to return them to the exact location where I found them). The first time I grabbed a skink, I was amazed at the mouth strength when it bit me on the web between thumb and index finger. It seems these little guys eat beetles, and therefore have a stronger bite. Their tails are also very brittle; if you grab it by the tail, it will separate, leaving you with just a wiggling tail.

4. Thanks for the info but I doubt that I will get the opportunity to see a lizard like that in my usual hang outs. I have never seen one in overbuilt New Jersey.

Les

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.