What is this?

It looks like a bagworm chrysalis, but not exactly, and it's on a milkweed plant, not a juniper. Any ideas?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

Nice image, Kelly

I don't know about the chrysalis, but if by milkweed you mean one of the Asclepias species, the flowers don't look right. Perhaps it can be identified at Bugguide.net

Larry

PS you might want to shorten the picture by 300 pixels

Thanks, Larry. I tried to find something on it, but nothing looks exactly like it. I've never seen one before but it looks an awful lot like a bagworm chrysalis. The purple berry looking bits appear to have eggs in them, though. I'll keep researching and if I find anything out I'll post it.

Kelly, I agree that it does look "bagwormish". They build their "houses" from the plant on which they are feeding, and they usually prefer evergreens. On occassion, I have seen them leave their initial host for "greener pastures". Was this one near an evergreen having foliage like that case?

No, it was in among a water garden. I'm not sure what this plant is, some kind of white butterfly bush. Definitely there to attract butterflies, and the monarchs were all over it. At first I thought this was a butterfly or moth chrysalis, but after a little research, I don't think it is.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom