1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What is this?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by aspiringphotos, Aug 15, 2009.

1. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    It looks like a bagworm chrysalis, but not exactly, and it's on a milkweed plant, not a juniper. Any ideas?

3823552463_e838844304_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attached Files:

2. Nice image, Kelly

I don't know about the chrysalis, but if by milkweed you mean one of the Asclepias species, the flowers don't look right. Perhaps it can be identified at Bugguide.net

Larry

PS you might want to shorten the picture by 300 pixels

3. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks, Larry. I tried to find something on it, but nothing looks exactly like it. I've never seen one before but it looks an awful lot like a bagworm chrysalis. The purple berry looking bits appear to have eggs in them, though. I'll keep researching and if I find anything out I'll post it.

4. Kelly, I agree that it does look "bagwormish". They build their "houses" from the plant on which they are feeding, and they usually prefer evergreens. On occassion, I have seen them leave their initial host for "greener pastures". Was this one near an evergreen having foliage like that case?

5. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    No, it was in among a water garden. I'm not sure what this plant is, some kind of white butterfly bush. Definitely there to attract butterflies, and the monarchs were all over it. At first I thought this was a butterfly or moth chrysalis, but after a little research, I don't think it is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.