What is this ???

I installed some new track lights upstairs and thought I would shoot some Legacy 100 in my Yashica 35GS all was shot at 100 iso.What is causing the halos in some of my photos.I did develop these in a new tank but some of the pics has the halos and some dont.

5694263102_932d3544c7_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D76_one_to_one025-Edit-Edit.jpg by lifthard1, on Flickr

5694262608_277cf08329_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D76_one_to_one024-Edit.jpg by lifthard1, on Flickr

View attachment 896078
D76_one_to_one027-Edit.jpg by lifthard1, on Flickr

View attachment 896079
D76_one_to_one028-Edit.jpg by lifthard1, on Flickr

I think you may be on to something there,I noticed that the negs curled alot. How can one cure the curling or bowing more like it.

I have not seen these for a number of years but I agree they are most likely Newton rings. Newton rings are usually caused due to the smooth faces in contact with each other.

Few questions:
a. Have you examined the negatives to see if there is any sign of the problem?
b. Are you placing your negs directly on the scanner glass?
c. If answer to above is yes then do you have a film holder specifically made for your scanner?
d. I think it unlikely but are your negs mounted glass slide holders?

Few possible solutions:
i. If you are placing negs directly on the scanner glass then this could cause Newton rings. You could try placing the emulsion side down i.e. in contact with the glass.

ii. If you do have a film holder then this normally would space the film from the glass plate of the scanner thereby preventing contact and the potential formation of the rings. If the film holder has glass then this could also cause the rings

iii. If you do not have a film holder then you could try spacing the negs away from the glass with a very thin shim of card mount. Problem though may be loss of focus depending on scanner capabilities.

iv. If you have mounted the slides in glass holders try removing the glass

Flattening may help but you may still experience rings due to contact issues mentioned

Final less satisfactory solution - It is quite easy to eliminate these using processing tools in Photoshop etc

What is causing the large cigar shaped minus density running diagonally over most of your first image?

I have not seen these for a number of years but I agree they are most likely Newton rings. Newton rings are usually caused due to the smooth faces in contact with each other.

Few questions:
a. Have you examined the negatives to see if there is any sign of the problem?
b. Are you placing your negs directly on the scanner glass?
c. If answer to above is yes then do you have a film holder specifically made for your scanner?
d. I think it unlikely but are your negs mounted glass slide holders?

Few possible solutions:
i. If you are placing negs directly on the scanner glass then this could cause Newton rings. You could try placing the emulsion side down i.e. in contact with the glass.

ii. If you do have a film holder then this normally would space the film from the glass plate of the scanner thereby preventing contact and the potential formation of the rings. If the film holder has glass then this could also cause the rings

iii. If you do not have a film holder then you could try spacing the negs away from the glass with a very thin shim of card mount. Problem though may be loss of focus depending on scanner capabilities.

iv. If you have mounted the slides in glass holders try removing the glass

Flattening may help but you may still experience rings due to contact issues mentioned

Final less satisfactory solution - It is quite easy to eliminate these using processing tools in Photoshop etc

What is causing the large cigar shaped minus density running diagonally over most of your first image?

Im using a film holder with betterscan glass .

I got a few of these, recently. I am almost certain they were from under drying the negatives before putting them in the plastic sleeves. Some of them stuck to the plastic a bit while inserting them for the first time.

Im using a film holder with betterscan glass .
Is it fitted with Anti Newton Ring (ANR) glass?

Have you had time to investigate/eliminate the other suggestions:

1 Examined the negatives to see if there is any sign of the problem?
2. Tried without glass?
3. Tried emulsion down and emulsion up?

Is it fitted with Anti Newton Ring (ANR) glass?

Have you had time to investigate/eliminate the other suggestions:

1 Examined the negatives to see if there is any sign of the problem?
2. Tried without glass?
3. Tried emulsion down and emulsion up?

Its is ANR glass
spots not on negs
no have not tried it without glass they were curled
scanned with emulsion side down
this is the first time this has happened

Its is ANR glass
spots not on negs
no have not tried it without glass they were curled
scanned with emulsion side down
this is the first time this has happened
Great that the marks are not on the negs!
Can understand reluctance to try without glass due to the curl - perhaps worth a try if you can flatten the negs as planned between a book for a day or two.
Caveat: I do not have first hand experience of the betterscan glass mount system but....
As it is the first time it has happened I can only guess that just maybe you had the ANR glass the wrong way this time i.e. the unprepared gloss side of the glass was in contact with the neg rather than the etched side?

After futher inspection I had the glass turner wrong,I scanned again and the rings did not appear.
Thanks to all for the help.

Latest threads

Top Bottom