What is worse than a crash HD

Lightroom.

Installed a copy that came free with a Leica camera. First I had to import photos. PITA. Somehow every photo on the computer went in. Thousands.

So I found out how to clear it from LR which I did.

After several months I decided to give it another go. I can`t import ANYTHING.

So I went to my pictures folder from 2006 to present. The folders in date order and sub folders are all there. The problem is they are all empty. bare as Mother Hubbards cupboard except for some small file.

Not only does LR want to own your photos, you can not get them back

I will not touch this program with a 10 foot pole again.

Fortunately there are two sets of back up files + time machine.

I thought this might be a work around for Adobe CC software rental. Goodby ADOBE.

Lightroom.

Installed a copy that came free with a Leica camera. First I had to import photos. PITA. Somehow every photo on the computer went in. Thousands.

So I found out how to clear it from LR which I did. .....

Yes - Lightroom requires photos to be imported into it's database catalog in order for you to use them in Lightroom. If you want to use Lightroom to track your entire library of photos, it needs to import them all. However, that then allows you to apply keywords, sort in different ways, etc, to help you find particular photos (or sets of photos) more easily. This import process leaves your photos exactly where they were to begin with (unless you used the "Move" option).

It sounds like you chose "Delete from Disk" instead of "Remove from Catalog" when you "cleared it from LR". "Remove from Catalog" would have left your photos intact exactly where they were.

Sorry for your troubles, but glad that you got it sorted out.

Lightroom.

So I found out how to clear it from LR which I did.

After several months I decided to give it another go. I can`t import ANYTHING.

So I went to my pictures folder from 2006 to present. The folders in date order and sub folders are all there. The problem is they are all empty. bare as Mother Hubbards cupboard except for some small file.

Not only does LR want to own your photos, you can not get them back

I will not touch this program with a 10 foot pole again.

Fortunately there are two sets of back up files + time machine.

I thought this might be a work around for Adobe CC software rental. Goodby ADOBE.

OK, so what likely happened is this:

- you imported your pictures. Note that if they were imported from their current location on disk, the pictures DID NOT MOVE. All that happened was that Lightroom created a link to the image files in its database and created a preview file.

- when you "cleared them out", the default behavior is to break the link in the database but leave the files where they are on disk. If the images were missing then you may have inadvertently chosen the non-default "Remove from disk..." option.

At default settings, Lightroom will never move your files. In the case of a camera memory card, it copies them to the location you choose. In the case of a hard drive, it adds them (creates a link in the db) which leaves the original image in its current location.

At default settings, Lightroom will never delete your files from disk. When you choose "delete" you are presented with a dialog box that asks you if you want to simply remove the image from the catalog (leaving on-disk image alone) or delete the image from the disk. The default option is to remove, leaving the image alone.

With all due respect, 15 minutes spent with a couple of video how-tos on the Adobe web site might have avoided all this. Lightroom is not for everyone. Some folks either can't grasp the concept of a database to manage their images or simply prefer a file-folder system. But, the program only does what you tell it to do.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Doug is probably right .. you accidentally selected "delete from disk" instead of "remove from catalog". By default Lightroom imports your images "by reference", meaning your files are not copied into the Lightroom catalog. Instead Lightroom points to them in their original location. Selecting "delete from disk" then removes your original files, not copies that Lightroom made.

If you use Time Machine or some other backup method, restore your picture folders and start over.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Part of the problem is the use of the word "Import". It can really import photos from a card. But other times it is simply adding them to its database. Perhaps that should be called "Add".

If you incorrectly think it has really imported all your photos into Lightroom (i.e. created copies), it is then logical (and utterly wrong) to delete them all when you don't want them in Lightroom.

You are not the first person to delete all their photos for this reason.

In order to free yourself from the catalog, make sure changes are written to xml sidecar files, or they will be lost when the images are removed from the catalog. While it has an excellent feature set and fine output, I find that Lightroom 5 runs slow on anything but the fastest new hardware. If editing with the image zoomed in, it slows to the point where it is unusable.

Since Adobe has now divided their line into CC for professionals and Lightroom/Elements for the masses, I find the need for a very fast computer to be disingenuous. If Adobe intends for Lightroom to be the "gateway drug" to get people into CC, I think they missed the boat.

In order to free yourself from the catalog, make sure changes are written to xml sidecar files, or they will be lost when the images are removed from the catalog. While it has an excellent feature set and fine output, I find that Lightroom 5 runs slow on anything but the fastest new hardware. If editing with the image zoomed in, it slows to the point where it is unusable.

Since Adobe has now divided their line into CC for professionals and Lightroom/Elements for the masses, I find the need for a very fast computer to be disingenuous. If Adobe intends for Lightroom to be the "gateway drug" to get people into CC, I think they missed the boat.

Saving the editing steps to sidecar files is of no real use unless you can find another editing application that understands them. To the best of my knowledge, with the possible exception of Photoshop, there are none.

Part of the problem is the use of the word "Import". It can really import photos from a card. But other times it is simply adding them to its database. Perhaps that should be called "Add".

If you incorrectly think it has really imported all your photos into Lightroom (i.e. created copies), it is then logical (and utterly wrong) to delete them all when you don't want them in Lightroom.

You are not the first person to delete all their photos for this reason.

The word "import" can be a source of confusion. However, the import dialog within LR makes a clear distinction between add and move and the default is add.

I did something from photo drop down at the top. I thought I was simply breaking the link.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom