What is wrong with this forum?

I came here 6-7 years ago, posted twice and was attacked by some bitter, rude man and decided to leave it...

Have come back for a visit, and the first thread I open is the "Critique: Wedding party" and instantly, another rude, snarling, grumpy man.

Is that really all there is to this forum?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I came here 6-7 years ago, posted twice and was attacked by some bitter, rude man and decided to leave it...

Have come back for a visit, and the first thread I open is the "Critique: Wedding party" and instantly, another rude, snarling, grumpy man.

You were very unlucky in going to that thread. There are not a lot of those. The Critique at the start is an option you select meaning that you want a frank critique of a photo. The problem is that sometimes frankness can be a shock.

Have more of a look around and you will find this is one of the friendliest places on the internet.

I agree about the critique threads but there is a wealth of knowledge here and many nice folks who have helped me improve over the last couple of years. Anybody can say anything without consequences so take the critique threads with a grain of salt. Lifeless static and one dimensional text on the Internet fails to convey the true tone or emotion of the conversation. Therefore sometimes well meaning feedback takes the form of a nasty criticism.

Real Name
Randy
I looked for your previous thread to get a sense of what you referred to but couldn't find it

This is the best forum on the Internet when it comes to soft and friendly C&C comments so I am surprised by this thread.

Real Name
Randy
Sorry I thought the wedding thread was yours.....

I read the 1st few posts and saw nothing offensive

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
When you add the critique button to your thread, you are asking for a frank review of the subject matter, and our members gave their thoughts. I agree with Randy in the fact that I don't see any type of comments that can be viewed as offensive.

Richard is correct in that this is one of the friendliest forums on the 'net. Have you been over to dPreview? :eek:

Every forum is going to have it's bullies. That's a fact of life. The only time you'll find an exception to this is if you start your own forum and you're the only one on it.

And to expound on the 'frankness' angle, sometimes that frank response comes off as rudeness as there's simply no inflection or body language to accompany the words you're reading.

I have to agree with everyone, this is a great friendly place with a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people. One thing I've learned about the internet and the written word many years ago, never take anything said personally or interject your emotion into what you perceive the other person to be saying because chances are you might be wrong.

Anyway, welcome aboard and enjoy.

I just looked at the wedding thread and the feedback seems fine to me and appropriate given the OP's posted shots. The only threads I have ever seen here that approached inappropriateness were ones where politics or religion etc were brought into play, and the mods lock those quickly. I suggest you participate more and get a better overall feel for the cafe. :)

JPS

I've been a Nikon Cafe member for more than 10 years, and I seldom -if ever- noticed bad comportments ! Of course, some people might have a rather harsh way of saying things, but OTOH, one must grow a bit of a thick skin when playing on Internet !

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the owner of the site has changed since you first came in... and now the "rules" are quite a lot more stricts than before, so.....

Welcome back, in any case... Enjoy the good and forget/avoid the bad !

;)

As web forums go, this is the most stable I have seen, with a wide array of topics for discussion. And as stated earlier, attempts to bring politics or religion for discussion are immediately shut down. If you read through various threads here, I believe that you will find objective, helpful and courteous comments the vast majority of the time. If anything gets out of line, the moderators take the appropriate actions.

Morsing - I'd give the forum a more extensive try than just a couple of posts. I've found the folks who participate to be both helpful and knowledgeable. I'd also be remiss if I didn't add that there are some very talented photographers who participate in this forum. They post some outstanding images and you can learn a lot, including envy, just by viewing their pictures. If you ask for a critique on a photo, you should expect to get some frank feedback. If you don't agree with one of the posts to your thread, or think it is too blunt, I'd just ignore it since I think that you will find the overall thrust of the comments to be helpful. I obviously like the Cafe and appreciate the efforts of the individuals who make it possible.

I can tell you this much ... I've learned loads of information here and the people are quit friendly ... I took a intermediate course a few years back at a local college and from what I learned here the teacher was quit surprised at my knowledge from the forum and I passed the course with flying colours . So look around ....ask questions ...post a few pictures and don't have thin skin if you want to learn a bit .... plenty here and are more then happy to help you out!!

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
I hope you'll take the comments to heart of the others who have answered your post. This is pretty much the nicest place on the web. I didn't see anything nasty in the posts you mentioned, but I may have missed something. A lot of what this community is has to do with how you approach it. If you have a generous type of spirit and look for the good stuff, you'll see tons of that in return. If you just look for conflict, you'll inevitably find something. But there's very little of that bad stuff here.

So jump back in and have some fun!

I moderated at the Cafe from its inception for eight years. It was started as an option to the then wild west of the globe's largest international digital photography site. The original owner, a gentleman and devoutly religious individual, instilled a sense of self-discipline and gentility within the Cafe. In the early days the new and lesser mature individuals tried to bring their 'honesty and forthrightness' (as justification for no holds barred conduct) with them and quickly found out that it wasn't tolerated. Along the line the catchphrase 'civil, respectful and objective discussion' was instituted. I can assure you that uncivil and disrespectful conduct is still not tolerated and should an individual cross the line the conduct will be dealt with. There is the possibility that a person might take a comment the wrong way and is encouraged to contact any moderator who will 'own' it till resolved. Please do follow up on posts which cause you concern; it will be taken care of.

Rich

When I came to the Cafe, it was like a breath of fresh air. While I got information from other forums, I did not participate because of the negativity. Sometimes I would have to stop reading because I was so disheartened at how good people with honest questions were being treated. I found none of this here. As an amateur I have received plenty of good criticism, and I never felt it was in a negative way. People here actually enjoy photography and the community of others who feel the same.

Latest threads

Top Bottom