What is your dream camera for long hikes?

I am planning on doing some rather long hikes either next year or the year after and would like to bring a camera with me, however the thought of bringing my D7100 and a couple of lenses doesn't sound too appetizing. If I were to purchase something else, whether a point and shoot or another lens mount type entirely, what would you recommend? IQ is pretty important, I just want to downsize to lighten my load. Thanks.

I routinely take my D700 (minus the grip) and 14-24 on backpacking trips; usually with my tripod.

I just bought a Fuji X-E1 and I'll undoubtedly be taking it from now on. I got a Nikon adapter, so for now I'm using the 14-24 zoom on it when I want wide, but I'll pick up a wide lens specifically for the Fuji later this year (probably either the 14/2.8 or the upcoming 10-20/4).

As of right now the Fuji checks all the boxes for my "dream travel camera".

Real Name
Chris
I am planning on doing some rather long hikes either next year or the year after and would like to bring a camera with me, however the thought of bringing my D7100 and a couple of lenses doesn't sound too appetizing. If I were to purchase something else, whether a point and shoot or another lens mount type entirely, what would you recommend? IQ is pretty important, I just want to downsize to lighten my load. Thanks.
A big sensor (CX, 4/3rds, DX or full frame) camera with a single (possibly permanently attached) lens would be ideal if your main activity is hiking. If the hike is to get to a photography location, then a large DSLR with large lenses on a sturdy tripod would provide the best range and image quality.

To photograph landscapes, I would strongly consider one of the new Sigma DP Merrell cameras as I hear the image is second to none for detail and color. If I were just gonna get some snaps of the people in the hiking group, against the natural background, then I might be tempted to use the iPhone camera.

Since you have long time until the long hikes, don't try to make a decision based on today's offerings. Things will change ever so much in the next12-24 months.

Just a Ricoh GR. Or if you need to shoot wildlife from a distance, then your D7100 with one telephoto lens, and a Ricoh GR for scenery and campfire shots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since you have long time until the long hikes, don't try to make a decision based on today's offerings. Things will change ever so much in the next12-24 months.
True, I just want to get some ideas since I know virtually nothing about the alternatives to Nikon out there in this area. I'm not too pleased with Nikon's point and shoot's or CX mount just from what I've seen so far.

Something for both landscapes and yet pretty narrow zoom. So, 10-20 range for landscape, then 300+ for wildlife. Budget would probably be $1500 or less.
I would take a Nikon V1 or V2, 6.7-13 ultra wide, 18.5/1.8, FT-1 adapter, 50/1.8 G, and your 70-300 VR for wildlife. Covers everything from 18mm equivalent to 810mm equivalent, and low light shooting, too :smile:

Cheers

Mike

I love my OM-D for hiking. I have the kit lens, but recently have found that I can get some great shots with my Panasonic 20 f1.7. I can switch to the zoom lenses that I have, should the 20 not work for the shot I want.

To be honest,
I'd take an Olympus OM-D with the weatherized 12-50.
+1 -- You took the words right out of my mouth. The 12-50 also provides a macro mode in case you want to take some close-ups of flowers, etc while on your hike. If you shoot/process HDR's, the OM-D E-M5 can be set up to shoot brackets handheld very effectively (because if it's in-body stabilization). I find this to be a very versatile combo.

I shoot mostly landscapes and - TBH - since getting the E-M5, I use it 90% of the time or more. (The balance is with my D300). And of my m43 lenses, I use the 12-50 probably 50-60% of the time.

EDIT: Whoops! Just noticede that you want a zoom for wildlife also. In that case, I'd recommend the Olympus 40-150 or Panasonic 100-300. I got my Oly used/refurbished for about $150 from Cameta. I don't know what the Panny goes for used, but a new one will exceed your overall $1500 budget by a bit.

Olympus E-M 5 and the lenses Panasonic 20mm (40mm) & OLympus 75mm f 1.8 (150mm)

....or .....the Sigma DP2Merrill (30mm/45mm) if good light or a light tripod, and Olympus E-M5 with 75mm f. 1.8

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom