What is your favorite Christmas Memory?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leigh, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Every year as the holidays zoom upon us, I try and slow myself down by thinking of my favorite holiday memory. I take a moment and try and remember all the sounds, the smells the sights...everything associated with that moment. I have two...

1)Patrick and I got married just before Christmas (Nov13th) so we were still freshly married our first Christmas. I knew it was going to be a very full day what w/going to his parents first for breakfast and then to my parents for lunch. But Patrick made sure we got up early enough to open one or two gifts each. We sat in our sunroom beneath our first Christmas Tree together and just looked in each other's eyes. As I looked at him, I saw my life ahead with him. I saw children we would one day have and the smiles and laughter that those children would have. Just a couple years after that, we had Ryan and then the following year we had Benjamin. It only gets better every year. I'm so thankful that I have Patrick and our Children and that we'll have those moments to treasure the rest of our lives.

2)When I was in the 3rd grade, we were living in La Habra, Califorinia. Not far from where we lived was a bike trail, but none of us had bicycles....not until Christmas morning! We walked down the stairs and lined up in the living room were 4 bicycles and 2 tricycles (plus 2 baby carry seats since my brothers were just 1 and 2 years old). I don't even think we opened any other gifts until we all went on a bike ride on Christmas morning! Of course it was Sunny Southern California so it was shorts and t-shirts weather!!! Who can't smile about that!!!

I'd love to know what your favorite Christmas (or Chanukah, or Kwanzaa memory is).

Happy Holidays and all the love from my heart to yours!

2. This is an easy one Leigh.
    Anne was expecting our son for the end of december. We always have very busy times around the Holidays, having lots of Anne's relatives sleeping over at our place or going to stay over at another member of the family - we always have a great time. We have no relatives living close by (all my relatives live in Holland).
    Due to Anne's very advanced pregnancy, we decided not to join the festivities and stay home just the two of us. Frankly, we dreaded a bit to be home alone for Christmas.
    Quite the contrary happened. We had beautiful winter weather (cold, lots of snow). We spent Christmas very aware of each other and very aware of the imminent arrival of our baby. We got up very early (we always do, including weekends). We unwrapped some nice presents. The house was very warmly decorated - soft Christmas music playing... We had a great time cooking up a wonderful dinner for two and took our leisurly time to have it. I cannot adequately describe the atmosphere, but it was magical.
    Today our youngest (of 4) son is almost 16. This was a long time ago and yet Anne and I frequently remind each other of that magical Christmas.
    Since then we're back to barely controlled mahem over the Holidays and surely enjoy being with a full house. But that one Christmas long ago stands out as my favorite ever.

3. My favorite Christmas memory happened around 1996. My father had a very rough year that year. Earlier he had a heart attack and the medicines he was on was causing his systems to go unbalanced, notably his nervous system. However we did not know this until after he went to a mental hospital. He was admitted about 3 weeks before Christmas and on Christmas Eve morning he returned home, a little weaker but noticably much better than before. The only gift I received that year was my father heathly again. I thank God for it everytime Christmas comes around and am thankful everyday that he is still alive.

God Bless,
    David

4. My favourite person in the whole world was my Gramma. She was the sweetest person, had a warm comforting voice and a welcoming lap to sit in. She was your typical apple-cheeked older woman - gold wire glasses, white hair, always wearing an apron, always had something baking in the wood stove in the kitchen. I used to be a penny-pinching little kid. The others would take any dimes or quarters they received to the corner store for candy, I'd always stash mine in a jar. Believer in delayed gratification even at a tender young age. I was four, and wanted to buy my Gramma a Christmas present. Apparently this shocked my mother as most kids are in the "get" mode at this age, not the "give" mode. My mom took me to the store, I remembering buying a small tin of Wild Roses bath powder. Helped wrap it up, and the best moment was when my Gramma opened it, gave me such a big hug and put some on her neck. I go instantly back to that moment anytime I smell Wild Roses bathpowder. I still miss her immensely and feel honoured that I was named after her, my middle name is Beatrice.
    original.

5. it's 1997 - we were expecting our second child and we spent Christmas quietly at home, preparing for the arrival the baby. The girl was born on Dec 29, and we named her Natalie ( = born on Christmas).

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for sharing your memories. I sincerely hope that this holiday brings you all much joy and happiness to create more wonderful memories.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Most memorable Christmas....Hmmm, back in the late-80s, my brother, his wife and two kids flew in from Mesa, AZ to spend the Christmas holiday with us. Unfortunately for them, Chicago was in the midst of a super cold snap with arctic air pouring down from Canada. I drove to O'Hare Airport to pick them up with the car loaded with blankets and heavy coats (coming from AZ, not much need for heavy coats there). I parked the car in the lot, walked to the arrival gate and excorted them to baggage pickup...that's when the bad news began. It was so cold, they could not open the belly of the plane to unload the luggage. We made our way to the car, bundled them up in coats and blankets then drove to our house. It was so cold, the heater in the car could not adequately heat the interior, but we made it home. Two days later, the airline delivered almost all of their luggage but lost two pieces, they arrived two more days later. The weather stayed extremely cold for their entire stay but it was still nice having them with us for the holiday. We ate like we were going to the electric chair the next day, laughed at family photos, made the rounds with some of the other family in the area and just had fun together.

Their trip to ChiTown still comes up now and then when the weather gets extreme...I wonder if they will ever do another winter trip here again!!! Maybe if I tell them it's "dry cold"!!!

8. Leigh -- your Christmas Eggs have started a new and wonderful tradition!!
    Everyone I've told about this just LOVES the idea!!
    Merry Christmas to you and Patrick and those adorable boys!!

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Hey that is a lot warmer than "WET COLD" :biggrin:

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

This is a great thread Leigh...
    Mine goes back about 8 or 9 years ago.
    I had been let go from my managers job at CompUSA (it happens!) in October and still hadn't found a new job.
    We weren't doing very well and my Mom called me up and asked me to come over and see her. She being a loving mother, gave me a check for $150 and said that I was to spend $25 each on each of us for Christmas. (she really couldn't afford to do that, but did anyhow.)
    Well we not being very crafty set out to stretch that money as far as we could. We ended up making all kinds of stuff for each other and it turned out to be one of our best holidays ever.
    Also 2 days before Christmas a friend of my boss old boss at CompUSA dropped off a Honey Baked Ham and a $50 gift certificate to Krogers from him.

11. Leigh,

Christmas memories abound...each year their is something special and memorable. The Christmas memories that are most dear to me are of my teen years when family would go to christmas eve candle lighting services at 11pm. Not only my immediate family but all of my grandparents, aunts & uncles, & their children. Their would be over 25 of us and three generations celebrating the birth of our savior. This would be just the beginning of days of activities for the whole "family". These times together will always be dear to my heart. The importance of the season was never lost on the gifts that we would receive. Everyday I thank God that my parents realized what was really important and the lessons that they taught by example.

Merry Christmas to all!!

Mike

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yeah this one....Being here with all of you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. mcampos

mcampos

Apr 14, 2005
    Norwalk, CA
    I don't have a specific Christmas, but I cherish all the Christmas eves celebrated with my family in Cuba as a child. I was part of a very large family and on that night we all gathered at someone's house, usually about 30 people. It was an all day affair that started early in the morning with the roasting of the pig that we usually had for dinner.

Once I came to the US that ended because it was me and my parents alone to celebrate.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I cannot go through a Christmas without remembering 1959 in Toledo OH. I just turned 7 and my dad had set up a chemistry set and fighter jet simulator, both of which quickly became my favorite toys of all time. I also got walnuts and an orange in my stocking! Oranges were rare in 1959 Toledo in the winter, as we were a far distance from the 'tropics'.

Those gifts determined my life's vocation and avocations: I become a chemist and have been enthralled with technology. It was an important year for me. Whenever I think of my dad now, I remember his excitement that Christmas. I think he filmed my every move on the 8mm movie camera he got! (and I always wanted to play with, but he never let me touch it. He must've known, because it was the only thing he specifically bequeathed to me.) ...

This year I got to play Santa (along with Becky) to 5 year old Olivia and 7 year old Sam. A friend called today to ask what my best gift was, and I replied "Watching Sam and Olivia!" What a thrill!

They aren't into chemistry or jets, but the Light Sabers and 680 piece 3D Lego puzzles were certainly popular. Oh, and I also got the Becky and the kids their own telescope. Mars is straight up half an hour before bedtime - and I'll betcha Mars will be pretty important when they're older...

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Mike,

I'm happy that you are here, but also sad that coming here cost you so dearly. Stories like yours help me understand why politics are banned here at the Cafe - they are so stupid. I hope you refind your family soon!

16. All of my Christmas memories are precious, however, Christmas 2000 was one of the most memorable. It was the last time my entire family was together for the Christmas holiday. Sadly, my mother passed away last year on the 23rd of December. Her passing left a void in the holiday which touched all of us this year. I cherish the memories of Christmas 2000 because I was able to capture all of it digitally using my CoolPix 990. My mother shared in my obsessive hobbies and enjoyed my images until her last days. I found a large envelope of reprints which she kept to herself (she was supposed to share them with family and friends). :wink: