What is your reaction?

I'm not sure how I feel about this one ... but.

children-beach-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like it. seems very etheral to me.

Edit: Took a second look.

I still like it but I would make the middle of the shot plain black, leave the water as it is and have only one wavey sun at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a fan. The bottom of the pictures with the kids looks great. The rest I am not so fond of...

My reaction...

is that it looks like an attempt to play with the picture just for playing's sake. This usually doesn't result in anything specatacular. This image makes me wonder what you were thinking or trying to attempt...

Hi John

Just catching up with viewing etc...

I quite like the image even with the b/g....as has been said...it is different.

I tried a panoramic crop making the sky black and that too works (for me)

I think the key element of the image is obviously the children and perhaps the focus should be on them...however, even as it stands with the area in the sky as an equally prominent subject I still like it...sort of makes you look at the image as two...

Best wishes

Ray

I'm not a fan. The bottom of the pictures with the kids looks great. The rest I am not so fond of...

I'm a fan. The bottom of the picture with the kids looks OK by itself. The rest looks way cool by itself.

It's a photo that causes reaction to the viewer and every viewer will have a different opinion.

Relative to the Topaz Adjust, HDR & Smudging threads right here, it's refreshing. B&W always wins in in my book.

An interesting piece.

My 1st impression was fairly negative and I was not totally sure why. After thinking about it for a bit I came to the conclusion that there were three main elements to the image; the childern playing, the waves breaking and of course the sky. Each element taken by itself were interesting and well done.

However when combined together it becomes rather foreboding to me. Innocent kids playing, totally unaware of what is going on in the sky or with the waves that at any moment could threaten them.

but then again I havent had my coffee yet this morning which might have a major effect on my reaction!

Thanks to all of you who have responded. I'm not sure of my own reactions to this picture - e.g. Conrad's comment about a possible threatening nature is something I felt myself after putting it together. I even understand "Yuck".

I will post how the sky was created as soon as I can.

Here is the sequence.

original

i-m5c2PKF-L.jpg

begin extraction
i-CdQtvMc-L.jpg

Convert to B&W
i-5rrxvMr-L.jpg

Apply liquify moderately
i-LRSHNtZ-L.jpg

Finally use filter/distort/polar coordinates and remove the horizontal stray
i-jfLZ8X3-XL.jpg

I'm agreeing with the majority. love the bottom 1/3 with the kids, and the waves. that's spot on, however those crazy lines, which look like a long shakey hand exposure of fireworks, just dosnt fit with the image.

Latest threads

Top Bottom