What ISO are you shooting?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by mcampos, May 20, 2005.

1. mcampos

mcampos

Apr 14, 2005
    Norwalk, CA
    Hi,

I am wondering what ISO setting are you using most often?

With my D100 I usually kept it at 200 and so far I have kept the D2X at 100, but I am wondering if there is any significant degradation by going to 200?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    all over the map....

That's why I LOVE the D2x. I finally feel like I can change ISO with relative impunity (well , at least up to 800). In fact, I kind of like the look of the higer ISO images. What do others think?

3. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    I've been shooting around 400 a lot lately because I've just been playing with the camera in the house (raining a lot Seattle, go figure...). The images are great even at this speed. As others have mentioned, the noise that does show is very radom and looks fine.

On a related note, what EV setting are people useing to adjust ISO? I've changed mine to 1 stop because it seems that with 1/2 or 1/3, there are just too many ISO speeds to choose from and they don't really affect the image much.

4. I shoot the lowest ISO I can for the situation, usually it is 100. I understand above 400 there will be some noise. I try not to go over 400, but than I have not needed the higher ISO.

Enjoy Bill

5. I like to stay at 100 however, I have been wanting to test out the auto ISO to see how it works. Like so many other features, I want to try all of this cameras features but for now, sticking with the basic. I think I have the settings I like especially since I changed the color mode to using I or II. I love sharp, saturated pictures.

6. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    ISO

I have taken about 4,000 exposures with my D2X and have tried most of the ISO settings from 100 thru 800. Thru 400 there is little or no noise apparent. At 800, dark areas or underexposed areas will show noise at 100% in PhotoShop CS2. It is not significant in an 8X10 print. I usually shoot at 200 or 400 when necessary. But I would not hesitate to use 800 if it were necessary to get the shot. Enjoy your camera!

7. Here is one I did goofing around in the back yard with my son, telling "spooky" (such as they are to a three year old) stories. ISO 800, 1/30, f2.8, 17-55 DX @ 55mm.

Noise reduction in camera set to "normal." None done post. No processing at all except minor crop and size reduction. Converted from RAW with ACR in CS2.

[​IMG]

I sure don't recall the 20D doing any better at 800, though it did at 1600. Would have been nice if Nikon could have pulled that off.

8. Hey Beezle,

Awesome picture! I love the scene. This is a keeper.

I know that I wish like you that the X would have done better with the high ISO but that didn't stop me from purchasing it or loving it. Like most people here, I use 100 most of the time and anything higher, I use a noise reduction.

9. whoa...where is that noise? Here noisey noisey noisey....
    Great shot, and great results from a great camera.

10. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Catz

Why do you use Noise Reduction software on anything over ISO 100 on your D2X?

I am now routinely shooting up to ISO 800 with the in camera NR set to OFF and getting wonderful results.

Using proper exposure and EV compensation really produces very clean images with this camera and you don't have to suffer the loss of detail that noise reduction inevitably causes.

Granted, there are instances where available light isn't sufficient and you just have to make do, but that's a rare occurrence from what I've experienced.

11. I haven't really tried turning off camera noise reduction. I will give it a shot.

12. Re: Catz

Sorry, I meant to say I use noise reduction at 800 or over or under as needed.

13. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    All ISOs

Again--up to 800 at least--I feel relative impunity. Like this shot from a couple of nights ago when it was getting dark, but what light was left was good. ISO 800. Like everyone else has said, my default is 100, but I'm not afraid to crank it up!! One of the coolest things about this camera!!

14. Lovely shot, Pat.

Best wishes,

David

15. I agree with David. It is one of the most awesome 800 iso shots I have ever seen.

16. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Danke.
    Trying to learn German. Need to use it.

17. Bitte sehr.

David

18. lots of 800 oportunities lately

1/5th handheld...lovin' it.
    43807454.DSC_1990.

19. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    perhaps a broken link?

20. mcampos

mcampos

Apr 14, 2005
    Norwalk, CA
    Vernon,

I don't know why your link is not working. It is a beautiful image, you should try to get it to work so others can see it.