1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What kind of bees are these?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VOLKeith, Jul 5, 2008.

1. I am having a devil of a time with these bees. I have been spraying with wasp and hornet killer but it is not working. I have killed a few but they are increasing in #. Bad pictures but can you ID and advise how to terminate.

2638841835_2644c9a9f8_o.
    NIKON D50    ---    135mm    f/5.6    1/800s   

2639672362_07f4ba40ba.

2639672096_7510697f86.

2. Look like a yellow jacket wasp to me. Google and you will see.

3. Get a professional and do it at the head end not after you are driven from your home. The queen and the nest must be removed and the entrances to it sealed. I have always called these hornets. I saw a nest on the side of a house in California that was 4 or 5 feet long and about as big around.

4. Pretty sure they are not yellow jackets, seem a bit too big and off color. Yellow jackets are ground dwellers.
    We can ask Harry S, i will send him a link.

5. Colyn

Colyn

May 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    These look like hornets..

I would call a pest control company.

If you've ever been stung by one you'll understand why I say call pest control.

6. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    They look just like the ones that STING, when they get :mad: 

7. schuds

schuds

Dec 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Those are yellow jackets... they're wasps. They're usually ground-nesters but they will also build nests in crevices of homes. They're nasty. I always hope for some -25 degree (F) weather around here during the winter. Cold weather during the winter wipes alot of them out. Good luck in Tennessee.

8. Wow, I think you have disarticulated Nikon D80 Neckstrap Stingers there! Seriously, I think you have wasps and these are in need of special tratment to prevent you from getting their special treatment. There is always Terminix to help you.

Good luck,
    Tom

9. German Yellow Jackets.

10. Thanks for all the replies. Got some fresh spray and some redemption. Problem is I can't find the nest. May have to call in a bug man.

2640674490_eb589ff42c_b.

11. I would....

Watch them one day and see where they are going. If they are hanging around your siding ( like it looks like they are) possibly the nest is behind a siding board.

Don

12. I had to deal with several *small* nests of these at my last house in Manchester, in the roof, in the shed and in a tree. You can get here a spray that shoots a tight jet to hit the nest from 10 feet and then retire quickly. Any that return to the nest die quickly. A great shame because the nests are things of beauty.

I found a queen wasp checking out my bathroom yesterday so I conducted her outside. She was about 3/4" long or more.

13. Well your a southern guy, got to be tough. :smile: If you want to do battle with them and save money, just watch them in the late evening, you will find their nest and entrance. After dark cover up good, and if you need to, pry open a board and make a run for it, :biggrin: most likely they will stay on the nest. Spray them good. I have had to deal with many like this, heck I even lost a 60 HP tractor to them one time:eek:  if I had not just taken it out of posi traction, it would have gone in the creek:tongue:
    Good luck!!!

14. Thanks Tom. Those are great pictures. You are right they are not aggressive if left alone, and I would leave them except they are inside a hot tub on my deck and I have two small boys that are not afraid of bugs.

15. Wow you do have experience. We do usually handle things like this ourselves down south don't we? I have located the entrance and they are chewing on it to make it bigger and I can open an access panel right beside it but the nest is not in sight. It is funny when the access panel is open the bees fly in though their small entrance then right back out the panel opening so I can't tell where the nest is. This is in a hot tub. I was hoping I could find a different kind of spray...this spray will kill them but it says "keeps bees away for 4 weeks" but really only keeps them away for 4 seconds:eek: 

16. Do you have a picture of a nest? I have seen hornets nests of course...are these different?

17. The big roundish nest I have always called a hornets nest. I have seen and sprayed some of the smaller open cell nests in there but that did not get rid of them so I figured it was something else. There are also some of what we call "mud dobber" nest in there too, but those are larger bees I think.

18. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    We call 'em Yellow Jackets...

About 4-5 years after we moved into our new house, we had to deal with a large (to me it was HUGE) nest of Yellow Jackets that had built a nest between the floor joists in our unfinished cellar.

We have our exercise machine down there, and we kept seeing 1 or 2 of these wasps fly around while we were exercising. Didn't think much of it, until we started to see numerous dead ones by the washer/dryer. Pretty soon it was obvious they were building a nest somwhere nearby, and my wife insisted that I investigate.

I told her no way, and she went to our neighbors house and borrowed his bee-keepers suit and again insisted I investigate.

I finally succumbed, and got dressed. Our neighbor is a bit smaller than I am, and the suit barely fit. At least the screened helmet was on tight, but the arms of the jacket were waaaay too short. As long as I didn't extend my arms, I would be OK.

The Yellow Jackets had started to build a nest between the fiberglass insulation and the floor (ceiling from down below...) and I needed to pull out the insulation to get a better look. I got on a small step ladder, and reached up extending my arms (big mistake...) to pull the insulation out of the way in order to see the nest.

I got the suprise of my life, pulling the insulation down revealed the largest nest I had ever seen, 16 inches wide, 24 inches long and approximately 8 inches deep, and growing. Wasps started flying all around me and up the arms of the jacket that was supposed to protect me. I ran away, and tried to run thru the door and up the stairs to a safe spot, all the while being stung several times on the arms. When I reached the door across to the other side of the cellar where my wife had been watching thru the crack in the slightly open door, I screamed "we are going calling an exterminator!"

"No way!" (she said), and she pushed me back into the cellar with a can of RAID Wasp and Hornet spray. I soaked the nest from a few feet away (still fighting the bees up my sleeves) until the can was empty.

She let me back upstairs after that, I got the suit off and then realized the stings weren't that bad, a bit of medicine on each spot (I don't know exactly what she used, but it was some sort of astringent) releived the pain.

The spray killed each and every hornet. There had to be thousands.

Turned out, they were entering the house where the electrical entrance had left a small gap (less than 1/2 inch) and it was not sealed well. We fixed that (as well as any other small holes or gaps) and have never had a problem since.

My son took the largest piece of the nest we had left to school for show and tell, it would barely fit into the lrgest ziplock bag we had. Everyone was amazed how well the spray had worked, personally I have to agree with others that the wasps environment is probably very delicate, and it won't take too much work to either eliminate them or force them to a different spot.

I wish you luck, it will be important to rid your living area of these pests, your family deserves a safe place to enjoy the tub. As long as you can soak the nest, you should be fine.

19. These are definitely yellow jackets.
    Well explained, Tom! Nothing left for me to say, except that there are some very similar species related to the German wasp which are not so easy to separate from a photo.

BTW - the real hornet is the least aggressive of all of them. They are easy to differentiate from the yellow jackets: everything that's black in the yellow jacket is reddish brown in the hornet - at least in the European species.

Cheers

20. Keith. Look for a dust type pesticide like Tempo Dust. Get a dust bulb and squirt it into all the voids and cracks where the bees are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.