1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What kind of camera insurance do you have?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjdesanto1, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. jjdesanto1


    May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    The reason I ask is this:

    I figured it was high-time to insure my stuff. But State Farm tells me I can only insure my photo equipment as a rider on my home owner's policy to a maximum of $5,000. That rider will cover theft from the house or fire (if the house burns down). It's certainly cheap enough ($3.50 a month) but I want a policy that covers my stuff in the event it gets stolen from my car or I accidently drop it while on a shoot.

    So what's the best route to go on this and how much do other companies charge for coverage?
  2. I don't know which insurance company my friend is with, but when he was up in NYC with his gf. He inadvertantly left his D70, SB800, and the kit lens in her car. Her car was broken into, and all his camera equipment was stolen. He reported it to police and his insurance agency. He still had all his reciepts since he just bought the camera. He had to fax over his reciepts to the company, and they sent him a check about a month later for the full amount of everything he lost. He bought the 20D with the check that he recieved. So I guess it all depends on what insurance company you're with. He told me he didn't pay anything extra to have his camera equipment insured.
  3. John, I don't yet have the type of coverage you are referring to but I did check with my State Farm agent a while back and what we need is personal article coverage, I was told it would run approximately $60 a year. I just need to give them an itemized list and copies of receipts - I think that's what I was told. It's not a rider on my homeowner's, it would be a seperate policy, I need to stop procrastinating and take care of it before I might need it. I specifically asked if it would cover my camera and lens for example if I was walking a trail and fell and the camera and lens hit a boulder - he said this type of policy would cover it. Here is a link to State Farm with a description of the policy - sort of. Hope this helps.


    BTW I'm in no way connected to State Farm Ins., other than a multiple bill paying policy holder.

    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2005
  4. mf44


    Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD

    I have all of my gear including my Powerbook and Cinema display covered under the Chubb/Rand Policy available through the NANPA. It covers everything aside from mysterious dissappearance, even during commercial use, and even outside of the country. It also provides coverage for borrowed equipment. To be honest, it's the only reason I joined NANPA. I'll PM you the specifics regarding cost and amounts that I have covered. I've looked all over, including NPPA member offers and others, and this was the best policy I've found. Just keep in mind there is no liability coverage. So, just make sure you don't end up accidentally killing someone with your camera.
  5. Insurance?

    Here's another one, my insurance is lots of prayer lots of cd's (buy stock) and the knowledge if I loose anything anyway I'm back to the 35mm disposable :(  I know it seems irresponsible but at about 40 a thousand I just do not have the funds so I guess I just keep hoping and putting my equip in a good case, bag and go to the trouble of wrapping each piece in bubble wrap for dust and prtection from bangs and bumps, call it cheap hope! :frown:
  6. jjdesanto1


    May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thanks Mike, Nick, and Mike

    for the information.

    Mike-b: I gonna talk to State Farm in the morning and ask about that policy.

    Mike: Thanks a lot. I'll see what the costs are there, too. By the way, I'll PM you the info we discussed in a day or two.

  7. John,

    I also have a State Farm policy on my camera equipment. I have
    $5500 of insurance for $40 a year. I had to itemize the items and
    give them replacement cost.

    I am thankful I have not had to use it. :smile:
  8. JeffKohn


    Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Do I understand you that this insurance doesn't cover theft? That's a pretty significant ommission isn't it?

    Right now I'm covered by scheduling my gear on my homeowner's policy, but if ever get off my butt and try to start making some money at this I'll have to get something else since they don't cover equipment used for "professional" use.
  9. jjdesanto1


    May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thanks Ray

    I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. $40-$60 seems pretty reasonable to me.
  10. mf44


    Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Jeff, it covers everything aside from mysterious dissappearance. It DOES cover theft, you just need documentation. Mysterious dissappearance is basically you just saying, "Whoops, don't know where it went..."
  11. Ppub101


    Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    what if you get mugged?

    I am concerned about maybe getting mugged while shootind downtown at night. Is there a coverage for this. Because if this happened and I know I wanst covered, odds are i would get killed protecting my camera and gear. If I lost it, I dont know what I would do.
  12. I also use the Chubb/Rand insurance thru NANPA. Pretty straight forward deal. I paid 437.00 this year to cover 27000.00 worth of gear.
    Highly reccomend it, however you must join NANPA and I think that is 90.00 a year.
  13. I also have the personal articles policy from State Farm. I’ve got about $35,000 of camera equipment covered with no deductible for about $350 a year. The only problem some people might have is that this policy is not for professional photographers (photographers making money).
  14. Flew


    Jan 25, 2005
    I have the same policy with State Farm. For me it's about $11 per $1,000 worth of equipment per year.
  15. jjdesanto1


    May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Thanks, all

    for your information. I missed contacting my State Farm agent today, so I have to put this all off for tomorrow. Once I get a quote from them, I'll letcha know!
  16. jjdesanto1


    May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Got a response...

    from State Farm today. They're offering me a separate business class policy which will insure my equipment up to $5,000 for $14.60 a month.

    It will cover my photo equipment for losses (theft, fire, water damage) wherever it occurs. Final cost works out to almost $160 a year which seems fair. It also includes some sort of business liability coverage. They're mailing me the details and I should have the forms in a couple of days.
  17. dheaton

    dheaton Guest

    Hey mike I would like some information about that insurance you have as well if you wouldn't mind sharing with me.

  18. Gale


    Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Since I do not own a home and rent an apt. I run into a bit of different circumstances.
    I use geico for all my ins stuff. Car, renters ins etc. ..to make a long story short i am paying 1.82 cents per hundred. That is for all risk. Dropped , rained on what ever stolen you name it.

    This higher than those of you that have homes etc. I had to up my liability to the hilt and have an umbrella policy as well.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.