1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What kind of comments do you get with your camera?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joseph, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone else gets comments from people because you have an 'unusual' camera. What do people say to you? We went to Universal Studios last weekend so I took my D300 and 17-55 and there were at least 10 people who gave me comments, compliments and feedbacks about it. I don't mind it, but over time I get conscious that everyone is looking at me. While I was chimping, one guy came to me and said "nice camera..". A few minutes later, I heard an older lady (who was walking by) say to her kid 'my goodness that's a huge camera'. Then when I was taking a picture of my wife with one of the actress, she commented "wow what a huge lens!". To be honest I'm starting to feel conscious about carrying my camera. In this day and age of digital cameras, I'm still quite surprised that people are still "shocked" to see such an unusually big camera.

What kind of comments do you get from "regular people" with your camera and how do you deal with it? Do you ever feel like they are watching you because you have a huge lens?

thanks for the comments

2. That's funny. When I spot an expensive camera I notice it, but won't confront the person and gawk over it.

Maybe I will get some comments when I upgrade to a D300 :p 

3. That's just it... in this day and age of digital cameras, the camera for the average person (the one who would comment on the size in the first place), is being made smaller, not bigger. Lenses made more compact. It's understandable when someone walks around with a pro looking setup, it's going to draw some looks. Walk around with a gripped D300 or D3 and 70-200, and see how many comments you get, especially if you have an SB-900 sitting on top.

4. The 17-55 with hood is HUGE. When I carry that combo, I always get comments. I try to carry a smaller lens when just out for a fun time.

5. My cameras are quite old (rangefinders from the late 1950s and SLRs from the '60s, 70's and 80's) so they usually attract comments from older people who shot with similar gear years ago. The only lens that attracts comments is my Nikkor 80~200 2.8 AIS manual focus zoom. It is quite large (uses 95mm filters!!!) so is often the object of comments or questions.

6. I get comments from people the moment i step outside the front door, some are humorous, and others are annoying. lol. I get the oh so typical "wow, you can see the moon with that thing can't you" to the "try not to zoom in so close to my acne, it's embarrassing." I like to walk around with my 70-200, so people also ask me "wow. can that lens get ANY bigger?" Carrying around a big camera also has it's perks, because you get treated special in clubs/bars since they think you're an event photographer. hehe. That and a couple of people stopped me and asked if I was a photographer and if i was interested in shooting their wedding in 2010. :smile:

7. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    When I'm shooting street shots, I've been approached a couple of times with questions like: "Will this be in the TV news tonight? Do you want to interview me?" :biggrin:

So, while I think a 28-70/2.8 or 70-200/2.8 is a nice casual walkabout lens, some people are seeing a tv camera LOL.

8. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    I was shooting a polo match and a woman turned to her friends and said, "But his is so big."

9. sadly though..the huge camera of mine has YET to score a phone number. But i'm not going to give up :tongue:

10. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Usually I get, "that's a big/nice camera"

Or "How far away can you see with that?!"

11. milano

milano

Dec 23, 2008
    Corona, CA
    Thats what she said.. :wink:

12. I found a way to get around people commenting on my gear (gripped D300 w/300 F4 + SB600 and Beamer) and that's to walk around with someone else who's got BIGGER gear!

my buddy I usually shoot with has a Canon 1D Mk III + 500 F4 + Flash/Beamer all on a big gitzo tripod with some big huge tripod head - and HE gets all the attention :) 

13. Even my trusted D70 with 17-55 on it is regarded a "big" camera by some... D300 w/grip, D2X or F5/F6 always invite comments regardless of lens.

14. My response to most comments, "Yeah, I decided to leave the big one at home"

Get some black galfer tape and black out all the brand names on your equipment. I get almost ZERO comments in public now.

15. :rolleyes: 

16. Yeah, I've gotten most of those types of comments as well. But there is one good side-effect of using the larger cameras...

I was shooting a local band in the Shreveport (Louisiana) Municipal Auditorium. It's a fairly large venue with an upper level - which is where I started shooting.

_DSC0285-copy.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After a couple songs, I decided to make my way toward the stage below. As the crowd saw me heading toward the stage, people not only got out of my way, but got others to move as well. I managed to make it to the front of the stage with ease. I guess they thought I was shooting for a paper or magazine, but I was simply shooting for my friends in the band.

_DSC0359.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

17. danameless

danameless

May 9, 2009
    NYC
    I guess it's the city I'm in.....I usually get, "stupid tourist...."

18. While at the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon a few weeks ago I got many comments like "nice camera" and a few saying "this is a great place to have a nice camera". I only seemed to get these comments while my 70-200 was mounted and not my 11-18. I guess it was all based on size. :wink: At one point after changing lenses I noticed a couple of familys getting setup to do a portriat and I offered to take them for them. They asked me what my fee was. I suspect if I had said $5 they would have paid because they naturally assumed I was a pro because of my gear.

19. When shooting with my 70-200, I'm often asked, "Man, how far can you see with that thing?" To which I respond, it's not how far you can see that counts... it's the quality of the image. :wink:

20. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    For the first time in my small photographic career I got called a "crétin" (you get what it means) by a man that happened to appear in a photo I took. After seeing that I took his photo, and as I walked close to him, he asked me if the photo was good. I replied that I tought so (I was shooting film) and then BAM the snarky remark.

He wasn't all too verbal though when I asked him to explain himself to me :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.