What kind of fat flying bug is this???

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Anthony747, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. Hi All! I was out shooting flowers this afternoon here in New Jersey with my D70 and Sigma 150mm Macro DG lens when this unusual fat flying bug flew past me. Notice the transparent center part of his wings. Can anybody ID this for me?

    Thanks, Anthony

  2. I beleive it is called a hummingbird moth or close to that I am sure some others will come up with the correct term
  3. Clear Wing Moth, or also know as Hummingbird Moth.

  4. Thanks for the quick response!

  5. Gale


    Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    One heck of a great shot....Who cares what it is right. lolol.. It works.
  6. Gordon Large

    Gordon Large Guest

    Hi Anthony -

    That is one weird bug! And the fact that you could capture him in flight with such detail is phenomenal. Congrats! :)

  7. Thanks Gordon, I got lucky!

  8. mrtac2man


    Jun 3, 2005
    the 1st answer is right it is a hummimg bird moth.. they are really cool.... the come to our humming bird feeder sometimes here in CT
Similar Threads Forum Date
Critique Dragonfly? What kind? Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery Jun 7, 2016
Some kind of wasp Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery Jul 26, 2015
What kind of spider is this? Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery Jun 20, 2014
Three of a Kind Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery Dec 22, 2013
Fat baby fly... Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery May 23, 2009