what kind of soft box?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by dbguy, Jul 9, 2008.

1. since my 33" umbrella kinda broke from tiping over from the wind and it was pretty small, i think i should get a softbox for my sb-800 or sb-600. which brand would you recommend and what size for fashion photography? i'm also on a budget. thanks!

Edit: or do u think its not a good idea to pair it up with the flashes?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Wescott and Photoflex both make softboxes designed for Speedlights. However, they are relatively small, and only really useful for head and shoulder shots IMO. I would imagine you could get a bigger one - designed for studio strobes - to work as long as you can figure out a way to mount them.

3. yeah, that would be the problem.. knowing how to mount it. i dont want to get something and find out that i have to wait and purchase additional products to get it to mount. and would the flash power be too low for having a softbox?

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Well, softboxes do suck some power, but the SB800 is surprisingly potent for a little flash. Another option you might consider is to fire the flash(es) through a diffusor. That way it is easy to set up and take down, does not require any adaptors to make them fit, and you can fire multiple strobes through the same diffusor to increase power and coverage. The resultant light is pretty softbox-like. It is a bit harder to control spill, however.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.