What lens have you missed the most....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bandnuts, Jul 31, 2008.

1. What about you??? What lens did you sell, then FINALLY find a way to get one back into your bag?

I sold my 80x400 VR before the D300 came out to help fund my upgrade from a D200. I do a lot of lens swaps, etc. and I've had a lot of glass, but I've got to admit that that 80x400 has been the one lens that I've missed the most.

It was just small enough to fit into three of my favorite bags. It's sharp and the range is amazing.
    If only they made it in a 2.8 for the same price. :rolleyes: 

Well, I made the plunge today and purchased one that looked to be in very good condition and seems to shoot very well (more photos will come later). Initial tests and AF fine tune showed no issues.... Here's a couple of samples of my "baby" now that she's come back home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    For me it was two, the 28-70 and the 105 f2 DC. I'll never do it again:wink:

3. I sold the 70-200/2.8vr and bought another one-

I sold the 17-55/2.8 and bought another one- then sold that one as well-

4. Yeah, but Jeff.... Do you miss the 17x55?

5. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    70-300VR. I offed it when I got my 70-200 2.8 and then 50-500, but almost immediately missed having a LIGHTWEIGHT telezoom with VR. I had a really great copy too!

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    My Nikkor 8 2.8 AIS is the lens I miss the most.

7. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    There are probably a half dozen lenses that I've bought three times, but if I have to pick just one it would be the AF 180 2.8.
    The 180 was the first Nikon lens that really showed me the wow factor.

8. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Sold the 10,5 fisheye to help to upgrade from D70S to D200.

Missed it and bought it again.

9. I do right now- hopefully the D700 (and eventually the 24-70) will ease the pain. :wink:

10. The only one I've regretted is the Sigma 10-20, sold to fund a D2x. I probably won't get another one, because its spot in the bag would probably be taken by a 14-24/f2.8.

(On the other hand, I suppose I could imagine a 10-20 coming back as lens #2 of a two-lens travel kit, but that's got to be years away if it ever happens.)

Still, until the 14-24 shows up, I will probably wonder about the 10-20 every time I reach for the 12-24.

11. Easy.
    My 17-55 was a great companion.
    Lost it to the FX migratory drive.

Sure the 24-70 is exemplary but will never balance as well in my hands.

12. Actually, none.

All lenses I sold, have either been replaced by newer (better) versions

Sigma 17-35 (replaced by 12-24 DX) - was happy to find a buyer for this soft-focus lens :smile:
    AF-D 60/2.8 Micro (replaced by new AFS version)
    AFS 28-70/2.8 (replaced by AFS 24-70/2.8) - not yet sold but will be soon.

or

have not been in use the last few years
    AF-D 50/1.8 (prefer to use the 45/2.8 instead).

Actually, I wanted to sell the 12-24, too (because of D3), but decided to keep it and use it on the (not yet bought) D60 which will be part of my hiking set-up.

Cheers

13. You won't miss lenses you if you don't sell! :tongue:

(You do end up with a lot of lenses though....)

14. There's a lot of lenses here that have been in my bag and are close to my heart as well. The 10.5, 70x300VR, 28x70, and 10x20 are all ones that would make the "A" list.

Jeff / Vernon, Crop factor and the length of the 24x70 are two reasons that I'm gonna wait before I move into FX.

Ricky, Love the comment and wish I could afford to hold to that rule. :frown:

15. My original 105mm f2.5 lens. Had the meter coupling pin/slot on the outside of the lens to connect with the Photomic head. But man, was that thing ever sharp. And small and light. Was so easy to just stay on the F body. Used a Gossen Luna Pro light meter since I took the Photomic head off the body.

Maybe the lens was one of my favorites because it also was the primary lens I used during some of the happiest times of my life.

16. Enlightening insight you have here.....same reason that my H.S. senior-year automobile was by best ever.:biggrin:

17. In the same vein, your first digital point and shoot--it has helped, er, "liberate" so many couples!:biggrin:

I miss my 24-85, 2.8-4.0. Sold it when I got my 17-55 and the gap between 55 and my 80-200 is so glaring. It wasn't that the 24-85 was a fantastic lens, but it was so useful!

18. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I miss my ultra wide (Nikon 12-24), but I don't use it in 90% of my photography which the 17-50 covers. I might get a Sigma 10-20 if I can find a cheap one.

19. I like this philosophy! I have only sold one lens, the 18-70 kit lens, and I even regretted that since now I don't have a light walk-around lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.