1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What Lens Is Perfect For Me Now?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Parisbeans, Apr 11, 2007.

1. I have the 17-200VR lens for my D200 and an 18-70mm lens that I never use. What would be the perfect walk-around-the-city-at-midnight lens to shoot street stuff and night stuff? A prime lens? As usual, thanks you cafe experts!

2. lovep1

lovep1 Guest

How about just buying a nice tripod for your night shots? You don't neccessarily need a new lens...

Now, if you are planning on shooting handheld most of the time you might try a couple of nice primes--Sigma 30 f1.4 and 85 f1.4.

Pat

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

50 1.4 ...and it's cheap too...;-))

4. Sigma 30, 1.4 or Nikon 50 1.4

5. Nikon 35mm F2AFD.

6. I second that emotion!

(Smokey Robinson ref - LOL)

Eric

7. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    i've been thinking of a sigma 30/1.4 myself.

Brian

8. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    what about an under apreciated sigma 28 1.8? very affordable and I havent heard a single bad word about it. its going to be my very next lens purchase.

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

and it's cheap too...keep us posted, please
    :biggrin:

10. If I were to be given a chance to choose from the 35 F2, 50 F1.4 and 85 F1.4...My 1st choice will be the 85 second will be the 50 and last will be the 35.

On the side note...I don't own any of those and never even hold and tried them.

But just by looking at what those different lenses can do here at nikoncafe I know the 85 will be the perfect lens for me for my potrait use.

Now if only I can find some cash lying around........:biggrin:

11. I just started to shoot a Blues band a friend of mine plays in and experienced that my 1.8/50 is too long sonetimes (well, there are not THAT many people at their shows yet and there's plenty of space in front of the stage). Also for streets at night it's a little bit too long.
    That's why I also thought about the 30/1.4, but also about Sigma's 1.8 prime range (20, 24 and 28mm). Sinve the 1.4/28 Nikkor is waaayyy out of my range I would appreciate any experiences with this lenses.
    Andreas

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.