1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What Lens

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Zeeman, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Zeeman

Zeeman Guest

Just started getting into birds.. I have a D40... What lens do all of you use?

I know it depends on distance light and other factors but would like to hear what lens are being used...

Thank you

2. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088

Oct 18, 2008
    New Jersey
    Lenses are all about speed. The "faster" they are, the more they cost. Speed, reach and image quality are the names of the game.

Other than the kit lens, I use a Tamron 70-300 MM, F/4 - 5.6. http://tamron.com/lenses/prod/70300_di_a017.asp

Its not the fastest and has slight image issues beyond 220 MM but for the price (around $150 on line), it gives good reach for the price. You just need decent light.

3. My best birding lens is the 300/4. Fast AF-S and supoer IQ, but it all depends on what kind of birds, and what will be your working distance.

Birds on a feeder in a backyard is one thing, flying birds in wetlands or open range is another.

You will be limited on the D40 as non-AF-S lenses will not AF for you. Sure you can shoot birds using MF but don't expect many BIF keepers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.